Re: Introduction - Debbie and Aja

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2009
      Hi Debbie,

      Unless they did an ultrasound (echo) of Aja's heart, there's no way they could have diagnosed her with HCM. You can see an enlarged heart on an xray, yes, but you can't see the walls of the heart and how thick they are without an echo. That's why you would go to the cardiologist.

      The second thing that concerns me is that if Aja did NOT have fluid in her lungs, why is she on Furosemide (Lasix)? It's a diuretic and if there is no fluid in the lungs to "dry up", then it's only going to dehydrate Aja, which is dangerous for her kidneys.

      If Aja does have HCM, even if it's secondary to hyperthyroid, it's not going to resolve itself with thyroid meds. My Snowball was hyperT first then diagnosed with HCM, and even though she's been on thyroid meds for two years, her heart condition hasn't gone away.

      With Aja being on the diuretic, please keep watch on her kidney values. She should be checked regularly to make sure her kidneys are okay, since diuretics can cause kidney failure. We've been there with that one too... the vet not telling us that Lasix can affect the kidneys, and one of our cats years ago went into acute kidney failure from being on Lasix.

      I think it would be really important for you to have Aja see a cardiologist to do the ultrasound to find out exactly what's going on with her heart, and if Aja taking diuretics is the right thing for her right now. I know it's expensive, but it's one of those things that's so important, that it's worth it.

      Carol and Snowball and the gang

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "debbie.bendell" <dbendell@...> wrote:

      Aja was diagnosed with HCM this past weekend, apparently secondary to
      hyper-thyroid. I took her to the ER because she was having difficulty breathing - she wasn't panting, but she was working so hard to breathe that her sides were heaving. X-rays show an enlarged heart, but not so enlarged as to cause breathing problems, and there was no fluid in her lungs. She was put on oxygen and treated for heart failure.

      Aja came home from the ER with prescriptions for furosemide and
      benazepril, and instructions to see a cardiologist.

      I think 0nce I get her on carbimazole and get her thyroid under control, the other problems will resolve.
    • Pat
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2009
        Hi Carol;

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7, 2009
          Hi Debbie

          Yes, HCM can be secondary and controlling the thyroid can reverse the HCM,
          or at least make it much better. Thyroid problems are treatable and the HCM is
          in that case. However, cats can have Hyper T AND heart disease as separate
          conditions, so its good she has treatment.

          If the first treatment doesn't work, there is another older drug in a
          different class. Not sure what its name is though.. (It's not an -azole..) You need
          to get the thyroid under control if you can. Then see whether that brings
          the heart condition under control.

          An ultrsound is the only way to see the heart's damage.

          Lyn :)