RE: [FH] Nubis, heart failure, and inject. predisone

  • Judi Levens
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2009
      We went through almost exactly the same experience with Max who also has asthma. Also had a good end result, but not until after a lot of worrying about whether he'd make it...he had to really fight hard. He's on enalapril and lasix and does very well with those meds...almost normal after 8 months so they stopped the meds and he reverted back to a dangerous state of heart disease...restarted the meds and he seems to be doing great. I'm looking forward to his next echo to see if the heart has again recovered with the enalapril (June.)

      So...I totally second the caution about prednesone...I will never let Max take it again, and wanted to pass along the hope that Nubis may recover very well...good luck.

      Judi and Max (1 yr, 7 mos since CHF)

      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      From: jintzr@...
      Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 14:17:49 +0000
      Subject: [FH] Nubis, heart failure, and inject. predisone

      Nubis went into heart failure exactly one week after my kitty Ivy did last Friday. However, we had no idea he had a heart problem. He was being treated for asthma.

      Friday night he was up to 60 breaths a minute. We took him to the ER and they put him in an oxygen cage, and gave him injectable predisone b/c he was being treated for asthma. After viewing the x-rays, they discovered that it was probably heart related. However, that particular vet didn't put him on enough heart med that night, and he had no improvement. I even asked her to give him a shot of lasix, and all she would do was give him 1/2 a tablet of it. When I called the next morning they were giving him predisone by IV!!!! I told them to STOP the predisone b/c of the heart problem. A new doc had just came on and she stopped it immediately, and treated him aggresively for heart disease. She gave him a shot of lasix, he started improving.

      The next 48 hours he would spend in the oxygen cage with them treating him agressively for heart disease. Saturday night he was put on an IV lasix drip. At one point Sat. night his respirations were up to 68 breaths a minute. He also had a fever/upper respiratory infection, so they treated him for that.

      My point is that a heart kitty should never be given injectable predisone, that can push them further into heart failure and be fatal. My baby is at home now, but he still is feeling pretty crummy, and I am hoping he can recover fully from this. I just wanted to post this in case anyone ever came across the same thing. We had no idea that Nubis had a heart problem, and he was being treated for asthma. He had just had x-rays 8 months ago. I wouldn't let them give you kitty injectable predisone until heart disease is fully ruled out if you kitty starts to substantially increase their respiratory rate, even if you have had x-rays within the year.

      Donna, Nubis, and Ivy too