Introducing Tigger Too

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2009
      Hi everybody. I just found out about this list, it looks amazing. I would like to introduce my precious little red&white folded Scottish Fold boy, Tigger Too.

      When I bought him, he had a 3-4 murmur, so I got his first echo&ekg at around 7 months old. He was successfully neutered before that, my vet said he never worked so fast, because he didn't want to stress Tigg's little heart. He was diagnosed with HCM, and put on Atenolol twice a day. The cardiologist said that if Tigg has been a DSH he wouldn't have given him the meds, because DSHs are generally stronger than purebreds. So I get the beef-flavored liquid atenolol and mix it in his wet food twice a day. He has a very flat face and almost no muzzle at all, and he is impossible to pill. He fights like the dickens, and I don't want to put him through any stress like that. I try to keep his life as even and as stress-free as possible.

      Before we started the atenolol he'd have bouts where he had very heavy breathing, but after a couple months on the med, that stopped completely. He is now 4 1/2, and you can't even tell that he's sick. He looks great. I keep him on canned food only (RC Feline S/O mixed with Fancy Feast or Friskies) because he partially blocked once at 2 years of age -- and they told me he probably wouldn't live through any kind of surgery, so I'd better make sure he doesn't block again. I keep him at 9 lbs. I had him echoed&ekged again with a different cardiologist at 3 years of age, and the results were exactly the same as the first time.

      I was afraid to even play with him when he was first diagnosed, but my vet said that kitties are "here for a good time, not a long time". So we play and run around everyday, and he loves vigorously climbing his cat tree. I was told that the possibility exists that he could drop dead anytime, so we just enjoy every day.

      I know that there are supplements I could be giving him, but I asked my own vet and both cardiologists, and they said not to bother, that they didn't really help.

      But I think now may be the time to start something. I wanted to ask you guys to see what you in your experience recommend, before I call the cardiologist. Last Friday I was watching TV and Tigger got off the chair and he was holding up his left rear leg, and just walking on the other 3. It wasn't paralyzed, he was moving it, but just not putting any weight on it. I assumed he had twisted it or landed wrong and sprained it, etc. It was late at night, so I decided to wait until the next morning and see if he was still limping before I took him to the vet. I have to tell you here that the last time we went to the vet, for shots, about a year ago, Tigger actually died from the stress. He was so freaked out that his little heart totally stopped beating. But it started again on its own before they could even start working on him. I vowed at that time that I would never take him out again unless it was a very serious emergency. When he went to see the cardiologists, his heart beat over 300 pbm, they couldn't even measure it. It just totally stresses him out to go out into the world.

      I got him to lay down, and he stretched the leg out straight behind him. I looked for a cut or blood or swelling, and there was nothing. I was able to touch the foot ok, but when I touched the thigh gently he cried out in pain. He got up and ran off, and was still jumping onto the chair and everything. He seemed fine. And in a couple hours he ran back into the living room, and the problem was totally gone, no pain, no limping. And he's been perfectly fine since then. It was only the next day that I began to wonder if that might have been a little clot that dissolved on its own in a couple hours --- what do you guys think? I asked about it on petvetcafe, and only one vet replied, and he felt that if it was a clot, it would have been highly unusual for it to have dissolved that quickly. In your experience, what do you guys think? I wondered that if that was a small clot, does that mean he might be going to have a big one soon, you know, the way a TIA signals that a full stroke may happen soon ... ?

      I had a couple replies from people on this list, and they feel that Tigger definitely should be on some kind of blood thinner, and perhaps some other supplements. That's why I'm writing in --- I would like to hear all your opinions and ideas, and then I'll talk to the cardiologist about what would be best for Tigger. Keep in mind that I cannot pill him, and would have to give everything mixed in his food. But I love him very much, and want to do whatever I can to keep his precious little heart beating as long as possible.

      thank you so much --- I'm so glad I was invited to join this group!
      Michelle & Tigger Too, Toronto

    • Pat
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2009
        Hi Michelle;

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2009
          Hi Michelle

          I can't say if Tigger had a clot or not, but it would be unlikely to
          dissolve quickly. However, that doesn't rule out that it may have moved on and been
          dislodged. Usually the clot traps at the artery branch, so both legs are
          affected.

          If Tigger is at risk for clots, he definitely needs something. Others here
          have experience with this.

          I give cardiostrength and find it certainly does no harm, and since they're
          all doing well, it is doing some good with the meds.

          Lyn :)