Re:Question about Nattokinase for a little kitten with severe tricuspid

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2009
      Hi Bettina

      I am so sorry to hear about your litter. Your kitten sounds exactly like my
      girl, Milli Applesauce. She had a flat chest at birth, we gave her ABIDEC
      (vitamin for babies) and her chest reverted to normal by 12 weeks. The outcome
      is good if they reach 8 weeks. There is a lot of info at the THINK project
      which was invaluable.

      _http://pawpeds.com/pawacademy/health/flatchest/THINKliteratureSm.pdf_
      (http://pawpeds.com/pawacademy/health/flatchest/THINKliteratureSm.pdf)

      FCK is inherited in most cases but can also be caused by a problem with the
      queen, such as medication or infection.

      I can not answer for Nattokinase as none of my cats take it. Milli has
      severe tricuspid dysplasia, two large holes in her heart (both chambers) and is a
      true miracle. She is now two and runs like a kitten and that is because of a
      fantastic cardiologist and the supplements she takes. Her right side is
      affected as well and she has Fortekor and frucimide. The heart damage has caused
      lung damage and if that progresses, she is going on Vetmedin. So right sided
      heart problems can be helped with drugs and supplements. She has cardiostrength
      daily.

      Heart problems like your kitten are usually genetic. Milli's was inherited
      and one brother had the same problems, and my Maxi also had tricuspid
      dysplasia. Maxi has been neutered. I would seriously consider looking at scanning the
      parents to see if one has passed this to the kittens. And of course the
      litter mates as well. I understand that is expensive though.. I struggle with that
      one.

      Swirls do increase the risk of clots. Others have more experience on this
      than me though..

      As for prognosis. Milli was given months.. Trixi (HCM) was given weeks..
      both are now two and half and not listening to their life expectancy. Both are
      loving cats with lots of life and energy. Medications improve quality of life.

      Hope that helps a little..

      Hugs

      Lyn :)