Re: [FH] Re: IMPORTANT INFO: Taking CoQ10 with blood thinners]

  • Bettina Schmolla
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2009
      Hi group,

      sorry, I forgot that I must change the recipient of the mail if I want to
      send it to the list ...

      Greetings
      Betttina

      Hi Carol,

      > Thank you so much for doing all this research.

      Oh, never mind, it was my own interest as well! ;-)

      > I have to admit, I don't understand most of it though.

      Really? Hm, I think, after reading it 3 or 4 times it's understandable ...

      > What I'm gathering is that the interaction of CoQ10 having vitamin K
      > properties may only be with Coumadin/Warfarin.

      That's exactly how I understodd what I found and the reason, why I don't
      understand, why CoQ10 might interfere with Plavix as well.

      > I've searched and searched so much about this because my mom takes
      > the Coumadin and my cats take CoQ10 and I just don't know for sure
      > what the answers are to this.

      Nor do I ... Mine don't need any clot prevention, the last results of the
      examination even were much better that 1 year ago, but I definitely want
      to be prepared ...

      > I agree with you about changing food and/or supplements and meds,
      > to always do it very slowly and with the guidance of the vet.

      Difficult with CoQ10, if you have a vet who doesn't believe in such
      supplements at all ... :-(

      > Blood thinning and clotting isn't something you want to mess around
      > with.

      Oh no, DEFINITELY not!

      > What I've done with my mom and the cats is, since they were ALREADY
      > taking CoQ10 and have for years, then were introduced to the blood
      > thinners, I figure that what the docs based their blood thinner dose on
      > was already taking into consideration the CoQ10 in their system, since
      > all the blood tests were done while they were already on CoQ10.

      Did your vet do blood tests with Snowball to find out the right amount of
      "blood thinner" for him (or her? sorry ...)? I know that it's "rather"
      easy doing such tests for humans, but all information I could find for
      cats look rather complicated, and in Germany I haven't yet found anybody
      who does blood checks to find the right dosage ...

      But nevertheless: I doubt that you can see anything, bevore you start
      giving Warfarin. Then, after the start, when you check how it works, you
      should see a difference I think.

      > What I probably wouldn't do, without doing it slowly and under the
      > direct supervision from a qualified cardiologist, is add CoQ10 to a cat
      > that already has been on blood thinners for a long time.

      Yes, I agree with you.

      > Now beginning CoQ10 simultaneously with blood thinners...that I'm not
      > sure about either.

      Nor am I ...

      > I'd really like to find out for sure if this Vitamin K thing with the
      > CoQ10 only applies to Coumadin/Warfarin, or if it applies to all blood
      > thinners.

      So would I ... Hm, what a pity, I could have asked my cardiologist
      yesterday. Well, he wouldn't have known anything about CoQ10, I guess, but
      he might be able to tell me something about Vitamin K - would at least
      have been a beginning.

      Carol, what do you think about this idea:
      In the German heart kitties list we've got a table in the database
      section, where we collect "questions for cardiologists". The aim of this
      table is: Whenever a member goes to a cardiologist, he or she should ask
      the cardiologist at least one of the questions of that table in addition
      to the own questions - or add a new questions plus answer to the table
      after the cardio visit. - To be honest, it doesn't work too fine, too many
      members are too good in forgetting about the table, but nevertheless I
      wouldn't want to miss it. And I'm going to add the question about CoQ10 /
      Vitamin K and blood thinners in our German table ... I don't know if you
      think that such a kind of table might be an idea for this list as well ...

      > I think that the Vitamin K activity, however much there is, in CoQ10
      > can't be that much that it would interfere with the blood thinners we
      > give our cats, especially the doses we give. We don't give mega doses
      > of CoQ10, in my opinion, to make any difference.

      My feeling says the same, but of course I don't know ...

      > But then again, I just don't know for sure.
      >
      > This is going to be an ongoing subject I think. I really appreciate the
      > research you did Bettina. I know how long that must have taken.

      It wasn't really that long, for I was content with Wikipedia and didn't
      try to find much more, to be honest. ;-)

      > I'm going to put the info as a file in our "Files" section for everyone to
      > access easily.

      Let's hope that we'll be able to put some answers there later as well ... ;-)

      Greetings from Bettina and unfortunately 3 heart kitties now (my 8 weeks
      old boy Burke Rusty was just diagnosed with severe tricuspidal valve
      insufficiency yesterday, almost no chance that he'll be able to celebrate
      his first birthday - but that's a subject for another mail ...)
      http://www.pristine-paws.de
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2009
        hi Bettina,

        It's fine that you sent your email to the group, since there is good info that they can benefit from too.

        Did your vet do blood tests with Snowball to find out the right amount of "blood thinner" for him (or her? sorry ...)? I know that it's "rather" easy doing such tests for humans, but all information I could find for cats look rather complicated, and in Germany I haven't yet found anybody who does blood checks to find the right dosage ...

        Well, for my mom, they tested her before and after starting the Coumadin/Warfarin. Then they tested her every other day for two weeks (lots of giving blood!), and now they have her dose down to what they want it at, so she gets tested once every 3 weeks, and she's still taking her CoQ10 same as before (30mg 3 x a day).

        But with the cats, they may have had a blood test prior to being given the blood thinners, and the test may have been for other reasons, but they can get a blood count and platelet count on it anyway. Then after they start the blood thinners, usually after the first week (usually after they've given them IV heparin while in the hospital), but then they send the cats home with whatever kind of blood thinners they decide to give them, and to my knowledge, they don't retest again. That's what they did with our angel Chris. After they sent him home with injectible heparin, that was for 10 days, then they did test him once, but after that, nothing. They prescribed aspirin for him after his course of heparin, but we only did the aspirin for a couple of weeks then weaned him off of it and switched over to Nattokinase. But in all the time after he got his last test after the heparin, they didn't test him again specifically to see how his blood was doing on the thinners, or in his case, the Nattokinase.

        Carol, what do you think about this idea:
        In the German heart kitties list we've got a table in the database
        section, where we collect "questions for cardiologists". The aim of this table is: Whenever a member goes to a cardiologist, he or she should ask the cardiologist at least one of the questions of that table in addition to the own questions - or add a new questions plus answer to the table after the cardio visit. - To be honest, it doesn't work too fine, too many members are too good in forgetting about the table, but nevertheless I wouldn't want to miss it. And I'm going to add the question about CoQ10 / Vitamin K and blood thinners in our German table ... I don't know if you think that such a kind of table might be an idea for this list as well ...

        This sounds like a good idea to me. I think it would be good for people, especially new members who are just learning, to know what questions to ask the cardiologist when they go. It can be very daunting and knowing what to ask can make a big difference in the information you get back for your kitty.

        If anyone else knows more about testing the kitties while on blood thinners, let us know.

        hugs,
        Carol and Snowball and the gang