Ivy went into congestive heart failure

  • jintzr
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30 2:45 PM
      My kitty Ivy went into congestive heart failure late Friday afternoon. She was wheezing and I called the vet and they wanted me to bring her in right away.

      On the x-rays, it showed fluid in her lungs (pulmonary edema). They gave her a shot of lasix and some lasix pills to take home. She seemed to feel much better that night. The next day they re- x-rayed her and the fluid had cleared up out of her lungs. That was a good sign. The vet said the fluid was, "mild". He said to reduce the lasix to once daily (1/2 of a 12.5 mg pill) until I can have her echocardiogram on Tuesday.

      I did that, but then yesterday she was wheezing again. That really worried me. I gave her another dose of the lasix. She goes in for her echocardiogram tomorrow. Could she possibly have asthma on top of her HCM?

      I guess I just need some re-assurance. I lost my kitty Ren to heart diesease in August 08. Ivy has been maintained well on athenol from the time she was a kitten till now. I guess I will find out how much her disease has progressed tomorrow, but if everyone could just send good thoughts for my Ivy, I've been giving her the supplements and trying to do everything for her I can.

      She is a fighter and strong kitty, I am hoping to have her many, many more years.

      Thanks
      Donna and Ivy, and angel Ren
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31 3:40 AM
        Hi Donna

        Once Ivy has her ultrasound, you`ll be in a much better position to see what
        is causing the fluid. If Lasix can control it until tomorrow, then that's
        good, but if she is wheezing, you might need to see a vet today. A lung Xray
        should be able to check for asthma signs.

        Cats wheezing at this time of year could also be the infamous furballs,
        although that's more of a hack. She could also have a type of pneumonia which
        would need antibiotics.

        Let us know how she goes at her ultrasound.

        Lyn:)

      • jintzr
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31 4:54 PM
          Update: Ivy had her echocardiogram; her LA was slightly bigger, but some of the other numbers went down? Is this the supplements working? Has anyone had this experience? Specifically, IVSd, LVPWd, %FS, and AV Vmax and PV Vmax went down, back down or below her Jan 2007 levels.

          Her left atrium had increased from 1.3cm to 1.5cm in about 7 months. She is now on 1/2 tablet of lasix in the morning, 10mg of athenolol twice daily, and will be adding enalapril. About 5 months ago I put her on supplements- CoQ10 w/ Vit E, Cardiostrength, and every few days DMG or Omega 3's. She had mild CHF (last Friday), which was cleared up with the lasix.

          Today (March 31st, 2009)
          IVSd: .37 cm
          LVIDd: 1.8 cm
          LVPWd: 0.4 cm
          LVDs: 0.6 cm
          %FS 67%
          Ao: 1.0cm
          LA: 1.5 cm
          LA:Ao 1.5 cm
          AV Vmax 1.5 m/s
          PV VMax 1.1 m/s

          Oct. 03, 2008 levels:
          IVSd: .66 cm
          LVIDd: 1.65 cm
          LVPWd: .61cm
          LVDs: .5 cm
          %FS 70%
          Ao: 1.03 cm
          LA: 1.3 cm
          LA:Ao: 1.26
          AV Vmax: 2.28 m/s
          PV Vmax: 1.3 m/s

          Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm just wondering if the supplements helped out on the lower numbers. Last time she had SAM but this time there was no SAM noted. I wonder if that is from the athenolol was increased last time?

          Also, he said the wheezing was probably and upper respiratory infection, and not related to the fluid. She was wheezing again slightly today. I wonder if she has a cold or could have developed slight asthma?

        • elfinmyst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2009
            Hi

            That's good that Ivy's heart has stabilised. The Atenolol will be helping
            the SAM.. I've had that happen with two of my boys. The tablets will help stop
            the disease from progressing and the supplements are wonderful.. I've also had
            a slight regression in Trixi from them and the meds.

            Keep an eye on the wheezing. Some of mine are wheezing and hacking this
            week, but it's a slight URI and they have a little snuffles as well. One has
            furballs.. I know because I always step in them in the morning!!

            :) Lyn