Sudden death of a good friend

  • digit20072009
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2009
      Early Saturday morning I lost the best cat I've ever been lucky enough to know. I got Digit almost two years ago. He was living as a stray in a friends neighborhood. He was getting pushed around by other cats and my friend suggested I might want him. I've had two cats before, both now deceased. One lived to be 18 and the other 20. Both were great cats and I was reluctant to take a chance on another since I had been so lucky before. I finally decided to give it a try by keeping him at my office (where I spend the greater part of my day anyway). Digit was very shy at first but after a few days he found his way to my desk and settled down where my keyboard would be. I quickly learned to type with the keyboard in my lap since I loved having him on my desk. He soon started following me where ever I went in the building, watching everthing I did as though it was the most interesting thing he had ever seen. When anyone would walk near him he would stand to allow them to pat him on his head. I won't list all the great things he did in the time he was with me but he was the sweetest, kindest, most gentle and considerate animal I've known. I was at my desk early Saturday when he jumped up as he always did. Suddenly he seemed startled and made a sound I had never heard him make. I realize now it was caused by pain. He immediately jumped down from my desk and ran to the doorway. There, just outside the door, he laid down. I immediately went to him and 10-15 seconds later he stopped breathing. I was shocked and horrified. I checked to see if he had swallowed his tongue and began CPR but to no avail. I can't think about anything else. I've read since that this can happen with no warning but after having two other cats live to old age it's hard to accept. I don't want to think about how lonely it will be at work without my boy there. I think he was about 2 years old when I got him (or so said the vet when I took him in for his initial check-up and shots) and he seemed to be in perfect health. He was active, loved to climb and had a good appetite. I think it's going to be a long time before I get over the loss of such a good and kind friend.