Re: [feline-heart] a type 3/4 heart murmur

  • the chunns
    Message 1 of 6 , May 19, 2000
      Teresa - you have done a wonderful thing by adopting this poor kitty and
      trying to get him
      back into good health. You are right about stress - and being in a shelter
      of any sort is
      stressful even to a healthy animal. What I am wondering is how this woman
      who is
      president of the organization ever reached that position. It sounds like
      caring for the
      animals is low on her list of priorities. Isn't finding good homes for the
      animals the
      main goal of the shelter?? Keep up the good work!

      Pat
      Message 2 of 6 , May 19, 2000
        Go Teresa.....don't ever give him back.....it would be a certain death
        sentence if you did! Poor thing. The shelter should be reported to the
        health dept....where are you located? You could certainly raise a stink by
        threatening to call the news media on the shelter if she doesn't leave you
        and your pusscat alone! You're doing the right thing; don't ever give him
        back. You'd regret it for the rest of your life knowing what you already
        know. He needs medical attention and love and kindness, poor baby. good job
        taking him out of there but what about all the other poor animals? What
        happens to them?

        TERESA STRANO wrote:

        > i have a big fat hairy issue going on with a local shelter that i
        > adopted a cat from, he had several health issues resulting from
        > neglect and one of the is a type 3/4 heart murmur. he is also
        > elderly, "over 10 years", maybe a lot over 10 years.
        >
        > i am a former volunteer with this organization and adopted this cat
        > because he looked so terrible and they were doing nothing for him. he
        > had infected ears and teeth, both longstanding per the vet, and this
        > probably caused the heart damage, she said. he also had ringworm with
        > severe scabbing, and greasy, dirty fur from no grooming. he had ugly
        > brown stains on both forelegs from pawing at infected ears for 6
        > months. the organization's president has become obscessed with
        > getting this cat back because she is so extremely embarrassed that he
        > was in the shape he was in. his other health issues are now resolved
        > and i plan NEVER to give him back, but for argument sake, i wanted a
        > little more info on the heart murmur because it is my feeling that
        > with an elderly cat, who has heart damage, the worst thing one could
        > do would be to put him back into a shelter with 100 other cats and
        > adopt him out to the first passer-by, or i really dont know WHAT they
        > would do with him. but she has been screaming to get him back for 2
        > months and has, in fact, kicked me out of the organization because i
        > refuse to give him back. i love him and he is very happy and has
        > gotten very comfortable here and as far as i am concerned, he is
        > mine. i paid over $200 for his medical care, yet she demands him back.
        > so i wonder if there is a website i could be pointed to, or any other
        > reference materials to give me more grist for the mill. this is a
        > very vindictive woman who, i fear, will stop at nothing short of my
        > total destruction if i do not give this cat back, and i am NEVER
        > giving him back.

      • Beverly A Ford
        Message 3 of 6 , May 20, 2000
          Keep up the good fight. It sounds like an investigation should be done of
          this shelter. Maybe a phone call to the local authorities or a letter to the
          editior of the local newspaper would be a starting point.
          Bev

          > Go Teresa.....don't ever give him back.....it would be a certain death
          > sentence if you did! Poor thing. The shelter should be reported to the
          > health dept....where are you located? You could certainly raise a stink by
          > threatening to call the news media on the shelter if she doesn't leave you
          > and your pusscat alone! You're doing the right thing; don't ever give him
          > back. You'd regret it for the rest of your life knowing what you already
          > know. He needs medical attention and love and kindness, poor baby. good
          job
          > taking him out of there but what about all the other poor animals? What
          > happens to them?
          >

          > TERESA STRANO wrote:
          >
          > > i have a big fat hairy issue going on with a local shelter that i
          > > adopted a cat from, he had several health issues resulting from
          > > neglect and one of the is a type 3/4 heart murmur. he is also
          > > elderly, "over 10 years", maybe a lot over 10 years.
          > >
          > > i am a former volunteer with this organization and adopted this cat
          > > because he looked so terrible and they were doing nothing for him. he
          > > had infected ears and teeth, both longstanding per the vet, and this
          > > probably caused the heart damage, she said. he also had ringworm with
          > > severe scabbing, and greasy, dirty fur from no grooming. he had ugly
          > > brown stains on both forelegs from pawing at infected ears for 6
          > > months. the organization's president has become obscessed with
          > > getting this cat back because she is so extremely embarrassed that he
          > > was in the shape he was in. his other health issues are now resolved
          > > and i plan NEVER to give him back, but for argument sake, i wanted a
          > > little more info on the heart murmur because it is my feeling that
          > > with an elderly cat, who has heart damage, the worst thing one could
          > > do would be to put him back into a shelter with 100 other cats and
          > > adopt him out to the first passer-by, or i really dont know WHAT they
          > > would do with him. but she has been screaming to get him back for 2
          > > months and has, in fact, kicked me out of the organization because i
          > > refuse to give him back. i love him and he is very happy and has
          > > gotten very comfortable here and as far as i am concerned, he is
          > > mine. i paid over $200 for his medical care, yet she demands him back.
          > > so i wonder if there is a website i could be pointed to, or any other
          > > reference materials to give me more grist for the mill. this is a
          > > very vindictive woman who, i fear, will stop at nothing short of my
          > > total destruction if i do not give this cat back, and i am NEVER
          > > giving him back.

        • Melissa
          Message 4 of 6 , May 20, 2000
            Teresa,

            What about contacting the Animal Defense League to see if they can advise
            you. I don't know much about them except that they have been known to get
            involved in "difficult" situations.

            Here's the URL to their Links page where you might find something:
            http://www.animaldefense.com/Links.html

            Melissa & Popcorn (don't give that kitty back!)