  • Stacey Wilcutt
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2009
      thanks for allowing  me to be a part of your group i wish i knew some of the treatments available before i had to have my beloved cat put to sleep on 2/25/09. my regular vet gave no hope that anything we tried would give him any kind of a quality of life. his condition started out having  a small knot under his front arm first one arm i didn't give it much thought i thought it could be a fatty tumor until one formed under the other arm. he started acting like he had an upper resp infection congested but not the usual sneezing and nose/eye drainage i watched him for 2 days he got to where he didn't want to be held on his back and would breathe out his mouth and could hardly meow. this is why i took him into the vet. they x-rayed his chest his heart was enlarged and his lungs were swimming in fluid. he said we could try a heart med and drain the fluid  but that it would need to be done again weekly. he explained how painful the procedure is and how he
      didn't enjoy doing it not to mention my poor baby. he talked about another lady's cat how she would bring her cat in every week or so and have his chest/lungs drained hers died anyway after much suffering. i just couldn't put my own through that for my own selfishness of wanting him to live. i wanted him to have the best quality pain free and a life worth living. at the time i thought i did the right thing but after reading your posts i feel there was a chance a cardiologist may could have given us more hope my vet never recommended sending me to one the money would never have been the issue i just wanted the best or whatever he needed.thanks again my name is stacey wilcutt my cats name was merle he was 11 months old would have been 1yr on 3/19.

    • taclea
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2009
        Stacey

        I am so sorry about the recent loss of your Merle. I am new to this group but understand having to make a painful decision such as this in the past. Part of grief can certainly involve second guessing these decisions and a frustration about what could have been done. Please let yourself go through all these feelings and know they are valid. It sounds as if Merle was a very sick kitty and you made the best decision you could about his care. One that was based on love of him and sense of responsibility about his well being. Yes, there may be different treatments for HCM and its various stages but that does not always mean they may have been the best choice for Merle. I wish you all the best and please take good care of yourself.