Help!!

  • Susan Loesch
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2009
      I am so glad to have found this group!  My 8 1/2 year old cat, Big Footsie, has just been diagnosed with HCM and congestive heart failure after an echocardiogram and given less than a year to live - with the warning that he could die any day.

      Not only is he my baby but he also comes to work with me every day as the Library Cat at AR School for the Blind - so all this affects way more people than just me.  I have been in panic mode - but am now able to think enough to try and educate myself.

      Footsie had a heart murmur at about age 1 when he was rescued from a local shelter - confirmed by ultrasound.  Second ultrasound 3 mo. later showed it gone.   He has had an inflamed liver, a MRSA infection that resulted with a toe being amputated, and also has asthma, which is pretty well controlled by albuterol and Flovent inhalers.

      He has been on 3 heart meds for about 2 weeks - Inderal, Lasix and - I believe it is Enacard, an ACE inhibitor.  Plavix was discussed but no decision made - when I read that it was very hard on the stomach I was concerned about benefit vs. problems.  Apparently his heart pools blood which makes a clot very possible.

      What do you guys advise me at this point?  Have any of you had this type of diagnosis and found that your cat outlived the expectation with good medical management?

      Thanks,
      Susan and Big Footsie

    • Susan Loesch
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2009
        I forgot to mention that his blood pressure was 50 points too high - 220 rather than 170.  After a week on meds it was down 20 points.  Tomorrow it will be checked gain.  He has coughing spells - for a long time I assumed it was the asthma - now I can't tell when it is asthma, heart, a clot gone to his lungs -- or a hairball.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2009
          Hi Susan,

          First of all, don't pay attention to time lines. My cardiologist even says now that he just doesn't given out time lines anymore- because too many cats and dogs outlive them by years and years. My Ren was one of those that outlived the time line that was given for him. So their is hope.

          I would recommend you go and look in the files at the supplements page, a lot of us here give our heart kitties supplements and there is some really positive effect in that.

          CoQ10 is a great one, you can get it in a product called Cardiostrength that also has some of the other things listed. I give my Ivy Cardiostrength one day, and then non-synethic CoQ10 the next day (rotate days). I read somewhere that non-synethic is absorbed better so that is why I do that. I also give her Omega 3's oils and DMG.

          Also make sure your Big Footsie is getting a good protein diet of high quality canned food (like EVO, wellness, CORE, Instinct, ect.)

          Donna and Ivy, and angel Ren
        • elfinmyst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6, 2009
            Hi

            First of all, your cat won't listen to his diagnosis :) None of mine did!!
            With treatment and supplements you can help to stabilise the condition and help
            stop it progressing. My kitten given 2 months is now 28 months!

            If Footsie is at any risk of clots, I would recommend definite treatment.
            That's the biggest risk of death from a clot if blood is pooling. You can use
            baby aspirin (as given by a cardiologist) or Nattokinase as well. Nutricology
            do a Nattokinase suitable for cats. I haven't used it, but others here have.

            Footsie sounds very very special!! Enjoy every day with him and he has no
            clue he has heart disease. All he knows is he is loved and played with.

            Supplements help. I use cardiostrength which is available in the US and UK

            Lyn :)