Lost my Boy

  • Surmi
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2009
      Hello,
      I am one of the ones who found out about this too late. My cat passed away suddenly a week and a half ago. I really had no idea what happened at first but now that I know of HCM I can see there may have been signs.
      My kitty was only 18 months. I am heartbroken and I miss him so much. I wish so badly I had taken him in to be checked when I felt concerned.  I suspect he had a saddle thrombus, his back legs seemed weak and one time he did collapse, almost looking like he was paralyzed and sort of paddled across the floor, but shortly after stood up right away and walked around. I called the vet's right after and we considered having tests for seizures, but my cat seemed so normal that I was not sure we should put him through it right away if it was not immediately necessary.  However, now in retrospect, I have spoken to his vet and HCM is his theory also. Unfortunately he passed away on a Sunday and only emergency clinics were open, so I had to take him there even though I was sure he died right away. I guess I needed someone to tell me.
      Can anyone tell me if it is unusual he passed away so soon? He was the runt and very tiny when I got him (2.5 lbs. at three months). He grew to be 15 pounds. I have read so much about HCM now and it seems like he was so much younger than any other cats that have it/pass away.
      I am having so much trouble dealing with the guilt and sadness. I can't stop crying, I loved him so much and still can not believe he is not here. Thank you for having this group and for any replies.

      Surmi

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2009
        Hello Surmi

        I am so so sorry you have lost your boy. My thoughts and prayers are with
        you. Your boy is at peace now at the Rainbow Bridge and I`m sure you feel his
        presence. There was nothing you could have done, you didn't know what HCM was.
        It can strike young kittens (my girl was diagnosed at 12 weeks) or 17 year
        old cats.

        Hugs

        Lyn.

      • beadfreak@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2009
          Surmi,

          First, let me say how sorry and sad I am that you lost your sweet kitty. It
          does happen at very young ages; mine was only 11 months old when she
          suddenly died on August 1, 2007. And like you, I am still filled with guilt over it
          as she began showing signs a week before and I was too ignorant to recognize
          them as trouble. She was breathing heavily, and I just thought it was
          because of the summer heat, and that she might have been playing with her twin
          sister. It came and went over the next week, but before I noticed it again, it
          got suddenly worse and I found myself desperately trying to get her to
          emergency care at 11:30 at night. None of my local veterinary hospitals were open,
          not even my regular vet, who used to be open 24/7. There wasn't time to get
          her to the emergency hospital across town. She died in the carrier as I was
          frantically driving from vet to vet. I still miss her VERY much, and I'm
          sure I always will. Yes, you'll cry a lot, but the time will eventually come
          when you'll be able to think of your kitty without the tears. You'll still be
          sad, but you will have become used to not having him around. We are just
          loving pet parents, not medical experts. I was certainly ignorant about feline
          heart problems, and certainly never expected anything like that to happen to
          a seemingly healthy 11-month old! But I joined this group shortly after at
          the suggestion of a friend who raises Bengals, and have researched heart
          diseases on-line. I know a lot more now than I did then, which was zilch. All
          my cats have to do now is look cross-eyed at me, and it's off to the vet they
          go. I don't take any more chances. A month after I lost Thelma, I had her
          sister Weesie tested, including a sonogram and am happy to report that she is
          fine and "normal".

          My suggestion to you is to adopt another baby to love when you are
          comfortable with the idea. I waited only 2 weeks, but I got Bridget more for a
          companion for Weesie (in theory) than another baby for me. They had a rough start
          (another thing I was ignorant of - introducing a new kitten to the household
          with a resident feline), but Weesie finally accepted her after about 10 days,
          and you should see them now! I dearly love Bridget and she is the sweetest,
          smartest cat I have ever seen. If it wasn't for losing Thelma, I would
          never have known her, so it's a catch-22 situation. I have no way of knowing how
          Weesie would greet her sister if she suddenly returned to life, but the
          experts say they don't have a long-term memory, that they live in the moment, so
          she might not recognize her. I certainly would, though!

          Your baby and mine are waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge, and take heart
          that one day we'll be reunited with them. Until then, cherish your memories
          of your baby.

          Hugs,
          Caroline B.
          steps!
          %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

        • beadfreak@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6, 2009
            Oops! I meant that Weesie had an echocardiogram, not a sonogram. Bridget
            has now had one too. Hers was also normal.

            Caroline