[FH] Re: ASA questions??

  • taclea
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2009
      Thanks everyone for replying. I did some reading and found some google book excerpts of vet medicine textbooks that indicated that asa in doses of 25mg/kg twice weekly did not show toxicity. My cat is 16lbs so 81mg is just over 10mg/kg. I mentioned my concern about asa for cats and my vet said the dose of 81mg every 3 days was safe. I will follow with again about this.
    • nala_zq
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2009
        > I think the most common issue with ASA (and plavix) is that it's hard on the
        > stomach. ASA seems to be better in this regard than plavix, probably in part
        > because it's dosed every three days instead of daily.

        My cat tolerated plavix for roughly 18 months. It was always given to
        her after she had eaten. She did not appear to have tummy upset
        issues.

        The problem with high doses of aspirin in kitties, more so
        than the tummy upset is that kitties lack an enzyme, produced
        by the liver (glucuronyl transferase) that is required to metabolize
        not only aspirin but also other NSAIDs. This means that it takes longer
        for aspirin to clear the kitty's system (3 day dosing) and it makes it
        much easier to overdose a kitty. Especially a compromised
        kitty.

        If there are concerns, then one could further consult with one's vet
        or have a liver panel done to see whether there are problems.

        Additionally some NSAIDs can interfere with the function of ACE inhibitors.
        ACE inhibitors work, in part by dilation of blood vessels in the kidneys and
        some NSAIDs interfere with this dilation. I don't recall whether aspirin is one of
        these specifically.

        A baby aspirin is typically 81 mg of aspirin.

        As far as a specific dose, the FATCAT study that is looking at the effect
        of plavix vs. aspirin for prevention of a second clot in a group of kitties
        that have already experienced a clot is:

        "clopidogrel/plavix (18.75 mg PO q 24 hours) or aspirin (81 mg PO q 72 hours). The dosages chosen for the study drugs are based on the standard accepted dosing regimen for aspirin and preliminary data from clopidogrel pharmacodynamic studies."

        www.ivis.org/proceedings/wsava/2007/pdf/52_20070401192749_abs.pdf

        "Antiplatlet aggregating therapy may be considered when severe left atrial
        enlargement is present, when spontaneous echo contrast is evident in the LA or
        LAV, or when cats have have had preveious thromboembolic episodes. Aspirin may
        be used, dosed at approximately 80mg every three days. Other agents are presently
        under investigation such as clopidogrel (Plavix). Low molecular weight heparin
        drugs are added when cats have thromboembolic complications. Two particular
        agents, enoxaparin (Lovenox) and dalteparin (Fragmin), have received the most
        attention. Both drugs are expensive but appear to have a far greater safety margin
        than unfractionated heparin. Fragmin (100 U/kg q 12-24hrs SQ) or enoxaparine
        (1mg/kg q 12 hrs SQ) have been used relatively safely. This dose of fragmin,
        however, may be too little- or the frequency too low, to be efficacious. Administration
        rates of every 6 to 8 hours are generally impractical, however, for long term
        administration. Hyperkalemia can occur acutely as a result of re-perfusion injury.
        Continuous ECG monitoring is valuable during the first 3 days of hospitalization.
        Periodic evaluation of BUN and electrolytes are useful."

        Hope this helps.

        Nala
      • taclea
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2009