Follow after echocardiogram

  • taclea
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2009
      Hello

      Today I had a visit w/ my vet to discuss Sully's echo that was done last week and to do a check up. I rec'd a copy of the report which found "mild thickening of Left ventricle and mild enlargement of the L atrium" which are "suggestive of mild hypertrophic disease". There is a "very small amt of mitral insuffiency". End diastolic flow was normal.

      My vet agreed w/ the radiologist that he does not need to be on cardiac medications at this time and we will repeat the echo in 6-12 months. He still has the murmur and she recommended monitoring his heart rate/resps at home to get a sense of what is normal for him in case he experiences changes. He has lost 1/4 pound in the past 3 months (16 lbs now) since being on diet and she would like me to maintain his weight at this time. We talked about the future and she confirmed that we dont know what the future may hold for Sully (she is a cat-only vet and has seen cats stay stable for many years) but I agreed that I am glad we have a sense of his problems now before he develops complications. I have started him on an omega 3 supplement and will be starting on asa 81mg once every 3 days. Vet said bloodwork is not necessary currently but will be done if he does have any changes or the next echo shows need for meds.

      So now I am just taking a deep breath and trying to spend as much quality time as possible w/ him. He is being is normal self and enjoying his food.
    • Judi Levens
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2009
        Sounds like pretty good news for Sully. I know each case is different, and I'm not sure how the vets decide when to treat heart kitties, but I will tell you about Max just for a reference.

        We didn't know Max had HCM, he had asthma though. So, when we were leaving for a trip and he'd had a mild attack, we got him steroid shots to protect him while we were gone. In short, the steroids caused him to go into CHF and we very nearly lost him but an astute pet sitter got him to emergency and after 48 hours on oxygen, etc. he made it through.

        His post CHF meds were enalapril and lasix and the dx was HCM with an enlargement which sounded very serious.

        We went to Mexico for 6 months with him (our normal life) and he took his meds and did very well; gradually recovered his strength and then started to fill in muscle mass in his huanches and appeared quite normal.

        When we got home we went to the cardiologist (new dr. for us) and she examined him, listened to his story and did an echo. She decided that he had mild to moderate heart disease, was asymptomatic and didn't need meds (she actually wanted us to give him diltiazem, but for some reason he wouldn't take it, and so she said "forget it, he's fine, but we'll watch him."

        One month later an echo showed his heart a little larger...went from mild to moderate.

        Four months later his echo showed that his heart disease was quite advanced. She put him back onto lasix and enalapril and we added CQ10 and nattozyme. Her feeling was that we should be ready for another CHF episode since the disease had progressed so fast. We went back to Mexico and so far he has improved terrifically again; I feel that when we return his echo will reflect a big improvement...although we can never be sure till we get the echo. At any rate, no fast breathing, normal behaviour, good muscle tone and fur, etc.

        Either this cat REALLY likes Mexico, or we did him wrong by taking him off his meds the first time....we'll never know nor do we know the outcome of this story, but after this experience, I would not leave a cat with heart disease without any medicine...the meds seem to work extremely well preventatively. Again...each cat and case is different, but this is for your consideration.

        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2009
          Thank you for sharing and I hope Max is doing well. I dont how/why they decide about meds either. I have done some online reading that indicates there is no solid indication that giving meds prevents the advancement of HCM. Altho, it also appears there is not a tonne of research any way. I have found a few studies, but have not found anything about meds for mild asymptomatic disease. I am certainly new to this tho. I will be watching my guy closely and if there are changes in next echo I was told he will likely need to start some meds. Sigh..... It is such a worry.