Re: voice changes

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3 10:29 AM
      hi Marianna,

      I've not heard of this kind of thing related to heart issues. It
      could possibly be laryngitis or related to the thyroid.

      Snowball's voice has completely changed over the past six months. At
      first she lost her voice altogether last October, when I had her at
      the vet for xrays. She was howling louder than I'd ever heard her in
      her life during the xrays! The next day her voice was gone
      completely. After a couple months, she started to squeek.

      Then slowly it started coming back just this past couple of weeks,
      but it's a little more of a meow, but still pretty much a squeek. Our
      vet thinks it may be from the nodule on her thyroid pressing on her
      voice box, which I'm not thrilled about at all. Considering that she
      lost her voice right after that day at the vet, and now it's a little
      bit coming back, I'm thinking that it probably was a strain on the
      vocal chords from her howling like that, and it really knocked her
      voice out. I'm not ruling out the thyroid thing though.

      hugs,
      Carol and Snowball and the gang
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4 8:03 AM
        Hi

        My heart cats yowl as loud (if not louder) than everyone else!! The sickest
        little girl is definitely the loudest. You're doing the right thing in getting
        them scanned. Let us know how they go on.

        Lyn :)

      • Carol
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4 8:58 AM
          hi everyone,

          This reply is from Melissa, who just lost her Bootsie. She sent it to me instead of the group.

          Carol

          On the posting on the voice changes....

          When you read my paragraph in my that starts with bad news, you see me talking about a funny high pitched meow that I've seen it twice. Both times it's meant they can't breath!

          I put it in the posting, but I thought I'd get out the word.
          If they can still do regular meows to and they are breathing fine or there's another strong possible cause please watch them carefully.
          And don't be shy about recording the incident, calling the vet and asking the vet questions.

          After just having Bootsie die I'm really sure I know what I'm talking about. If they can't do anything but a funny high pitched meow Get the help now! It's an emergency!

          Melissa