RE: [FH] voice changes

  • Linda Irrgang
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2009
      Sounds like he gave himself "stress laryngitis"..it happens in singers who
      overdo it..sounds like he overdid his howling on the way home.

      Linda

      _____

      From: mmayer11@aol. <mailto:mmayer11%40aol.com> com
      Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 15:47:11 -0500
      Subject: [FH] voice changes

      As some of you know, Izzy died at 7 years old very suddenly and tragically
      February the 20 just 3 weeks after getting a dx. Izzy's brother and mother
      remain here with me. Pearl, their mother, has a heart murmur, or so I have
      been told by a routine cat vet...who is no expert. Don't even know if that's
      a correct assessment. I'm taking them both in on Thursday to be check at the
      same hospital where I had brought Izzy.

      I am mainly concerned for their lungs, because I'm convinced that *if *
      they...like Izzy...have heart problems, it would have started there. They
      were all exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning for 5 or more years. The long
      term effects of CO poisoning for humans is extremely serious health
      problems...such as damage to major organs within the body. When this effects
      the heart it's called myocardial injury [heart muscle injury].

      My question to the group is, has any member noted that your heart kitties
      have had any voice changes at all??Izzy's brother for the last few months
      has had such changes. He often but not always now has a weak little squeak
      instead of a meow. This is something that was never true until recently.
      Marianna

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2009
        hi Marianna,

        I've not heard of this kind of thing related to heart issues. It
        could possibly be laryngitis or related to the thyroid.

        Snowball's voice has completely changed over the past six months. At
        first she lost her voice altogether last October, when I had her at
        the vet for xrays. She was howling louder than I'd ever heard her in
        her life during the xrays! The next day her voice was gone
        completely. After a couple months, she started to squeek.

        Then slowly it started coming back just this past couple of weeks,
        but it's a little more of a meow, but still pretty much a squeek. Our
        vet thinks it may be from the nodule on her thyroid pressing on her
        voice box, which I'm not thrilled about at all. Considering that she
        lost her voice right after that day at the vet, and now it's a little
        bit coming back, I'm thinking that it probably was a strain on the
        vocal chords from her howling like that, and it really knocked her
        voice out. I'm not ruling out the thyroid thing though.

        hugs,
        Carol and Snowball and the gang
      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2009
          Hi

          My heart cats yowl as loud (if not louder) than everyone else!! The sickest
          little girl is definitely the loudest. You're doing the right thing in getting
          them scanned. Let us know how they go on.

          Lyn :)

        • Carol
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 4, 2009
            hi everyone,

            This reply is from Melissa, who just lost her Bootsie. She sent it to me instead of the group.

            Carol

            On the posting on the voice changes....

            When you read my paragraph in my that starts with bad news, you see me talking about a funny high pitched meow that I've seen it twice. Both times it's meant they can't breath!

            I put it in the posting, but I thought I'd get out the word.
            If they can still do regular meows to and they are breathing fine or there's another strong possible cause please watch them carefully.
            And don't be shy about recording the incident, calling the vet and asking the vet questions.

            After just having Bootsie die I'm really sure I know what I'm talking about. If they can't do anything but a funny high pitched meow Get the help now! It's an emergency!

            Melissa