Re: [FH] New Baby Sick

  • Lisa Clarizia
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi Sue,

      I'm sorry to hear about your kitten!

      My Lilly has the same defect -- a ventricular septal defect, which is
      basically a hole in the heart. This ranges from mild to serious.

      Lilly's condition is considered to be on the more serious end of the
      spectrum. She has a severe murmur, 5/6 or 6/6, and secondary HCM. Lilly
      was not given very long to live when she was diagnosed, which was three
      years ago. She's now doing so well that at a recent vet visit it was
      decided we should switch her meds from enalapril to benazapril, which is a
      bit less rough on the kidneys -- her kidneys are fine, as is her bloodwork,
      it's just a precaution. Despite what everyone said, Lilly has now lived
      long enough for her kidney status to become something to worry about! A
      miracle.

      So, all you can really do for your little one is wait and see, but there is
      some hope.

      Lisa

      On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 6:36 PM, muzy454 <muzee454@...> wrote:

      > Hi my name is sue I joined awhile ago because I was waiting on
      > results for my Maine Coons they have all tested negative to HCM thank
      > god.
      > But im finding out the hard way that even though your cats test
      > negative, nature can throw a curly at you.
      > My first litter of six babies are truley beautiful but as they were
      > getting bigger i noticed one of them was falling behind. In the hot
      > weather (we live in North Queensland) she was finding it very hard.
      > Breathing was a big problem for her and all she wanted to do was rest
      > while her litter brothers and sisters ran rings around her. She is
      > half their size but as you all know there is sometimes what is called
      > the runt of the litter. Anyway I had a bad feeling,something wasnt
      > right I called my vet and she came out at 7.30pm just to ease my mind.
      > My poor little girl has what is called Machinery Heart Murma.
      > Ventricular Ceptral Defect. I was told that this has nothing to do
      > with HCM but, that it sometimes just happens. My vet said that I had
      > a few options one was to put her down. The other was to give her lots
      > of love and attention and see how she goes. The critical period
      > apparently is 6 to eight weeks. (shes only 5 weeks old) during this
      > time they usually suffer a fatal heart attack. If she survives to 12
      > weeks she will most likley live. My heart goes out to her ill do my
      > level best to see she has a happy life. PS she is in no pain.

    • jintzr
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2009
        Hi Sue,

        Did this diagnosis come from a vet or a cardiologist? The reason I
        am asking is because when I got Ivy as a kitten, they said it was
        probably a defect in the heart and that she wouldn't make it to a
        year, ect. But they urged me to see a cardiologist to know for
        sure. The cardiologist diagnosed Ivy with mitral valve dysplasia and
        put her on athenolol, which has helped her a great deal. She
        actually has the mitral valve problem and HCM, but they weren't able
        to diagnose the HCM until this year (she is 3 yrs old) b/c they
        couldn't see the HCM changes until then.

        So I would urge you to take your kitty to a cardiologist. They can
        recommend some medication and the best path. They can see a lot of
        things the vet cannot. My Ivy is now 3 years old and is very healthy
        and happy, she just has to take medication every day.

        Good luck and let us know!