Re: [FH] Ringo: fish oil: latest buzz in cardiology circles

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi Stacey,

      In a message dated 2/28/09 10:31:50 AM, bname08-cats@... writes:

      > Two vets told me yesterday that cardiologists are now touting fish oil
      > (omega acids) as important for treating heart disease. Each heard it at
      > a conference (same conference?).

      Lisa Freeman at Tufts is hot on Omega 3s for cat heart disease.

      > There's a product "3-V Caps" that
      > three holistically-inclined vets have recommended to me over the
      > years.  I'm going to try it for Ringo.

      I'm not crazy (my opinion only) about this product, since it has cod liver
      oil and cheap Vit E (dl-alpha). I would esp not get the liquid oil (as opposed
      to the caps), since there's greater risk of rancidity. I think we can do just
      as well with a fish body oil from a reputable mfr, eg Carlson, and adjust for
      desired cat dose. Some people are also using krill oil, tho it's more $$.

      Also, it's important to know that each cap contains 1250 IU Vit A (b/c of the
      cod liver oil). The guideline (per Mayer) for cats is about 500 IU per kg
      body weight per day ( = 2250 IU/day for the average 10 lb adult), from all
      sources.

      > Note: don't use straight Cod Liver Oil (found out on another board that
      > it is NOT appropriate for cats -- don't remember why not).

      Cod liver oil may be high in Vit A, altho we don't know precisely what amt of
      Vit A would be a risk for cats. // Rosemary