Re: Ringo: fish oil: latest buzz in cardiology circles

  • goldbe50
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
      Their also big on it for feline food allergies. My vet is pretty
      conservative about this sort of thing but even he has been pushing
      omega 3, 6, and vitamin E supplement for food allergies. It's already
      in their allergy food.

      I've been using it for ages and while I have no idea if it helped my
      angel Nessi's HCM or is helping Ruby's murmur, it makes for extra
      lovely coats.

      If your cat can handle the sodium, you can also feed a meal of fresh
      salt-water (not farm raised) salmon 3 or 4 times a week (this from the
      RawPaws group) instead of buying the oil. Any of the capsules on the
      market will do or get salmon oil ones. I use the Veterinarian's Best
      coat supplement. Just mix into the food.

      Judith
    • savionna@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
        Hi Stacey,

        In a message dated 2/28/09 10:31:50 AM, bname08-cats@... writes:

        > Two vets told me yesterday that cardiologists are now touting fish oil
        > (omega acids) as important for treating heart disease. Each heard it at
        > a conference (same conference?).

        Lisa Freeman at Tufts is hot on Omega 3s for cat heart disease.

        > There's a product "3-V Caps" that
        > three holistically-inclined vets have recommended to me over the
        > years.  I'm going to try it for Ringo.

        I'm not crazy (my opinion only) about this product, since it has cod liver
        oil and cheap Vit E (dl-alpha). I would esp not get the liquid oil (as opposed
        to the caps), since there's greater risk of rancidity. I think we can do just
        as well with a fish body oil from a reputable mfr, eg Carlson, and adjust for
        desired cat dose. Some people are also using krill oil, tho it's more $$.

        Also, it's important to know that each cap contains 1250 IU Vit A (b/c of the
        cod liver oil). The guideline (per Mayer) for cats is about 500 IU per kg
        body weight per day ( = 2250 IU/day for the average 10 lb adult), from all
        sources.

        > Note: don't use straight Cod Liver Oil (found out on another board that
        > it is NOT appropriate for cats -- don't remember why not).

        Cod liver oil may be high in Vit A, altho we don't know precisely what amt of
        Vit A would be a risk for cats. // Rosemary