Re: [FH] Last stages - quality of life scale

  • Vicky
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2009
      Hi Amy,

      I couldn't find a website listing these quality of life factors in the
      same way, so I copied it from here: http://lightning-strike.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3092

      I'm sorry that Giorgio is having a difficult time. They are very good
      at hiding how badly they feel, so I hope this scale will help you
      determine when he's ready to be helped to the Bridge. Some things
      apply to dogs rather than cats, but mobility is important to cats too,
      although cats don't need to go for walks.

      You sound like a very caring cat lover. You'll make the best decision
      for him.

      Pet caregivers can use this Quality of Life Scale to determine the
      success of
      Pawspice care. Using a scale of 1 to 10, patients can be scored.

      Score Criterion

      H: 0 - 10 HURT - Adequate pain control, including breathing ability,
      is first and foremost on the scale. Is the pet's pain
      successfully managed? Is Oxygen neccesary?
      H: 0 - 10 HUNGER - Is the pet eating enough? Does hand feeding help?
      Does the patient require a feeding tube?
      H: 0 - 10 HYDRATION - Is the patient dehydrated? For patients not
      drinking
      enough, use subcutaneous fluids once or twice daily to
      supplement fluid intake.
      H: 0 - 10 HYGIENE - The patient should be kept brushed and cleaned,
      particularly after elimination, avoid pressure sores and keep
      all wounds clean.
      H: 0 - 10 HAPPINESS - Does the pet express joy and interest? Is he
      responsive
      to things around him (family, toys, etc)? Is the pet depressed,
      lonely, anxious, bored or afraid? Can the pet's bed be close to the
      family activities and not be isolated?
      M: 0 - 10 MOBILITY - Can the patient get up without assistance?
      Does the pet need human or mechanical help (e.g. a cart)?
      Does he feel like going for a walk? Is he having seizures
      or stumbling? (Some caregivers feel euthanasia is preferable
      to amputation, yet an animal who has limited mobility but is
      still alert and responsive can have a good quality of life as long
      as his caregivers are committed to helping him.)
      M: 0 - 10 MORE GOOD DAYS THAN BAD - When bad days outnumber good
      days, quality of life might be too compromised.