New Baby Sick

  • muzy454
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2009
      Hi my name is sue I joined awhile ago because I was waiting on
      results for my Maine Coons they have all tested negative to HCM thank
      god.
      But im finding out the hard way that even though your cats test
      negative, nature can throw a curly at you.
      My first litter of six babies are truley beautiful but as they were
      getting bigger i noticed one of them was falling behind. In the hot
      weather (we live in North Queensland) she was finding it very hard.
      Breathing was a big problem for her and all she wanted to do was rest
      while her litter brothers and sisters ran rings around her. She is
      half their size but as you all know there is sometimes what is called
      the runt of the litter. Anyway I had a bad feeling,something wasnt
      right I called my vet and she came out at 7.30pm just to ease my mind.
      My poor little girl has what is called Machinery Heart Murma.
      Ventricular Ceptral Defect. I was told that this has nothing to do
      with HCM but, that it sometimes just happens. My vet said that I had
      a few options one was to put her down. The other was to give her lots
      of love and attention and see how she goes. The critical period
      apparently is 6 to eight weeks. (shes only 5 weeks old) during this
      time they usually suffer a fatal heart attack. If she survives to 12
      weeks she will most likley live. My heart goes out to her ill do my
      level best to see she has a happy life. PS she is in no pain.
    • Lisa Clarizia
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1 7:28 PM
        Hi Sue,

        I'm sorry to hear about your kitten!

        My Lilly has the same defect -- a ventricular septal defect, which is
        basically a hole in the heart. This ranges from mild to serious.

        Lilly's condition is considered to be on the more serious end of the
        spectrum. She has a severe murmur, 5/6 or 6/6, and secondary HCM. Lilly
        was not given very long to live when she was diagnosed, which was three
        years ago. She's now doing so well that at a recent vet visit it was
        decided we should switch her meds from enalapril to benazapril, which is a
        bit less rough on the kidneys -- her kidneys are fine, as is her bloodwork,
        it's just a precaution. Despite what everyone said, Lilly has now lived
        long enough for her kidney status to become something to worry about! A
        miracle.

        So, all you can really do for your little one is wait and see, but there is
        some hope.

        Lisa

        On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 6:36 PM, muzy454 <muzee454@...> wrote:

        > Hi my name is sue I joined awhile ago because I was waiting on
        > results for my Maine Coons they have all tested negative to HCM thank
        > god.
        > But im finding out the hard way that even though your cats test
        > negative, nature can throw a curly at you.
        > My first litter of six babies are truley beautiful but as they were
        > getting bigger i noticed one of them was falling behind. In the hot
        > weather (we live in North Queensland) she was finding it very hard.
        > Breathing was a big problem for her and all she wanted to do was rest
        > while her litter brothers and sisters ran rings around her. She is
        > half their size but as you all know there is sometimes what is called
        > the runt of the litter. Anyway I had a bad feeling,something wasnt
        > right I called my vet and she came out at 7.30pm just to ease my mind.
        > My poor little girl has what is called Machinery Heart Murma.
        > Ventricular Ceptral Defect. I was told that this has nothing to do
        > with HCM but, that it sometimes just happens. My vet said that I had
        > a few options one was to put her down. The other was to give her lots
        > of love and attention and see how she goes. The critical period
        > apparently is 6 to eight weeks. (shes only 5 weeks old) during this
        > time they usually suffer a fatal heart attack. If she survives to 12
        > weeks she will most likley live. My heart goes out to her ill do my
        > level best to see she has a happy life. PS she is in no pain.

      • jintzr
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3 1:22 PM
          Hi Sue,

          Did this diagnosis come from a vet or a cardiologist? The reason I
          am asking is because when I got Ivy as a kitten, they said it was
          probably a defect in the heart and that she wouldn't make it to a
          year, ect. But they urged me to see a cardiologist to know for
          sure. The cardiologist diagnosed Ivy with mitral valve dysplasia and
          put her on athenolol, which has helped her a great deal. She
          actually has the mitral valve problem and HCM, but they weren't able
          to diagnose the HCM until this year (she is 3 yrs old) b/c they
          couldn't see the HCM changes until then.

          So I would urge you to take your kitty to a cardiologist. They can
          recommend some medication and the best path. They can see a lot of
          things the vet cannot. My Ivy is now 3 years old and is very healthy
          and happy, she just has to take medication every day.

          Good luck and let us know!