Ringo: update after stopping Enalapril

  • sweetanniethecat
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2009
      Ringo was given Enalapril 2/11/09-2/24/09. During those 2 weeks, we
      watched his appetite go down (Ringo is diabetic) and his creatinine
      go up (2.2 to 2.7, although neither the cardiologist or the internist
      were concerned; we were because our Patience developed renal failure
      very likely because of Metacam). We heard from a very noted
      cardiologist (not his treating cardio) that "there's no proof that
      heart meds (and aspirin and Plavix) help a cat who is NOT in heart
      failure." Still we were going to continue the Enalapril experiment --
      Ringo had been on it for two weeks and needed one more week
      to "decide" if it was helping his breathing (2 weeks more to re-check
      with echo).

      We watched Ringo, our recent adoptee, become less interested in his
      new home and eat less. Then, it became clear to us: stop the
      Enalapril (noted side effect: decreased appetitite). We cleared it
      with all his vets (including his cardiologist who said "not essential
      now"). Finally, toward the end of the 3rd day off Enalapril, Ringo
      showed the gusto we saw 2 weeks ago when eating. His food intake
      went up. True, he also had a B12 subq injection on Thursday. But
      last week there was no appetite improvement after his B12. Today, he
      had a good breakfast and looked interested in Annie's toys.

      We know that we are taking a chance with this, but we have seen too
      many of our cats have a so-so quality of life while on a bunch of
      drugs (we really tried a lot of drugs/supplements). We think Ringo
      should have a chance to feel "reasonably well" rather than out of it
      (needing herbs, Pepcid, Reglan, Carafate -- which might or might not
      help with nausea). We'll start him soon on CoQ10, taurine, fish oil.

      Stacey

      Ringo: Adopted 2/5/09 (May 2006: previous owner surrendered --
      "euthanize or put in shelter"). Almost 17 years old. Big Maine Coon
      tabby (17 lbs). Early kidney disease. Diabetic since 2006 (Lantus
      Glargine 1 unit twice daily). Diabetic neuroprathy. IBD (biopsy:
      moderate lymphoplasmcacytic and eosiniophilic gatroenteritis; gets
      novel protein canned food). HCM: echo on 2/10: progression of left
      atrial size, left ventricle hypertrophied, no systolic anterior
      motion of mitral anterior leaflet, disatolic dysfunction and dilated
      pulmonary veins.