scientific info on CoQ10

  • fredsus1@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2001
      I tried to post this..I hope it doesn't go through 2 or three times!!

      Here is some great info on CoQ10 from my favorite website, run by a
      pharmacist no less.
      http://www.naturalhealthconsult.com/Monographs/coq10.html

      Susie
    • twylarex@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2001
        --- In feline-heart@y..., fredsus1@h... wrote:
        > Here is some great info on CoQ10 from my favorite website, run by a
        > pharmacist no less.
        > http://www.naturalhealthconsult.com/Monographs/coq10.html
        >
        > Susie

        This is great information, especially for my skeptical engineer
        husband :-)

        Thanks,
        Twyla
      • yarringt@asel.udel.edu
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 2001
          Hi all,
          Please, I'm not arguing with you all. And your choices are your
          own, and I know we're all trying to do the best we can for our cats.
          To be honest, I am still considering giving a small dose to Tigger.
          However, I just want to insert a word of caution. First of all, the
          below link is to a company that sells coQ10, so of course they're
          going to cite the studies that support its use. There's at least one
          study everywhere that supports or refutes just about anything. Until
          I see the study, see that it was reproduced, and see that it was
          conducted properly, I think cited studies by companies selling coQ10
          should be viewed with caution. Second (and this is a big one) cats
          metabolize things differently than we do. They can't eat chocolate,
          for example. And in studies, it's been shown that rats, dogs, and
          humans
          do better on a low protein diet when they've got renal failure. So
          it was assumed that the same held for cats. But now there's studies
          suggesting that cats may do better with high protein diets. So just
          remember that cats are not humans and what is good for humans
          is not necessarily good for cats. And until studies are done on cats,
          we really don't know what an effective dose is. Another example.
          Calcitriol. It works great in humans. But when taken in proportionally

          lower amounts for cats, it almost kills cats. Cats need a *much
          smaller*
          proportional dosage. So we really don't know what's safe and effective
          for cats. All we have so far is anecdotal evidence.

          I am just trying to insert a word of caution. As I said, I'm strongly
          considering giving it to Tigger, especially since the anecdotal evidence

          suggests that it at least doesn't do any harm. But just remember
          that until you've seen the study conducted on cats, and until you've
          seen the study reproduced by an independent group, both of which
          have no interest in selling or prohibiting the sale of the product, then

          we really don't know what effect a substance has on our cats. This
          holds for all substances, not just renafood/renatrophin, coQ10, etc.

          Sorry - I do research for a living, and I've seen so many bogus
          studies, it's scary. So I've become a sceptic. In general, when a
          web site says "Cautions: None" be wary :-)
          -Debra & Tigger

        • VHess2000@cs.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31, 2001
            List- If anyone is interested in reading abstracts from published studies
            evaluating the use of CoQ10 (primarily in humans, but a couple related to its
            use in animals with cancer), please see the following sites:

            1) www.md-phc.com/nutrition/useful.html
            Abstract of long-term study (8 years) on 424 patients with various forms
            of cardiovascualar disease, published by Langsjoen H, et. el, in Molecular
            Aspects of Medicine, 1994, 15 Suppl:s 165-75.

            Findings include: 43% of patients taking CoQ10 stopped between one and three
            drugs, significant improvements to left ventricular wall thickness, mitral
            valve inflow slope, fractional shortening (58% per cent improved by one N.Y.
            Heart Association functional scale [scale used to determine a patient's
            eligibility for transplant], 28% by two classes.

            2) www.thorne.com/coenzyme.html

            Trimarco B, Condorelli M.
            Double-blind study, involving over 600 patients with CHF, found that
            fewer patients required hospitalization, and had reduced episodes of
            pulmonary edema and cardiac asthma.

            3) www.thorne.com/coenzyme.html

            Mortensen SA, et el., in Int J Tissue React 12:155-162;1990
            Study determined that levels of CoQ10 are decreased with suspected
            myocardial disease, and were greatly reduced in patietns with myocardial
            failure due to dilated and restricitve cardiomopathy and alcoholic heart
            disease. Patients showed significant improvement when given 100 of CoQ10
            daily.

            4) www.allvita.net/coq10_study.html

            Very long, 33 pages. Abstracts of 50+ studies involving CoQ10. All note the
            lack of side effects related to its use (only a couple of people (out of the
            1000's evaluated) in all the studies I've read have noted occassional
            nausea). Many use terms like "breakthrough discovery," "promising adjuvant
            therapy."

            Of particular note: a study by Morten, SA, et al, which found that a
            significant percentage of heart patients (about 30%), stablized on their
            medications, and taking CoQ10 for between 3 - 8 months, required
            hospitalization, of died within 2 - 3 of the ceasation of COQ10. Hopefully
            this study will be expanded (it only included 34 patients). Most studies are
            funded by drug companies, and when a natural supplement demonstrates that it
            can lessen patient' reliance on pharmaceuticals, it is a financial
            disincentive to do so. The NIH now has divisions studying supplements and
            alternative therapies, so there might be light at the end of that tunnel.

            Victoria
          • Mike & Linda Irrgang
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 31, 2001
              yes, your points are well taken....i too was wary of the many sites citing
              the benefits of CoQ10 and then by the way you can buy it from them
              too.....and my pumpkin was sick to his stomach on it....but i still think it
              bears strong consideration bec so many vets are now prescribing it....and
              many cardiovets too.....

              linda and the boys