Re: [FH] Side effects of Tapazole?

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2009
      Hi Elaine,

      In a message dated 2/25/09 11:47:25 AM, cluvaughn28@... writes:

      > He is undiagnosed hyperthyroid. What I mean by that is after 3 blood
      > tests his range is considered normal, but he has all Classic symptoms
      > of Hyperthyroid. Weight loss (extreme)while still eating normally,
      > dull coat, thyroid nodule enlarged, spurts of high energy then utter
      > exhaustion, almost daily vomiting of bile/clear spittle but no food.
      I'm going to tag on to Carol and Candace about the importance of running a
      Free T4 EQD with the Total T4. Here are 2 articles that give a good idea about

      1. www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00107.htm

      2. www.antechdiagnostics.com/clients/antechnews/2001/oct01%5F03.htm

      Since the Free T4 is not incl in many standard blood panels, you may need to
      remind the vet to ask specifically for it to be incl.

      Another option for thorny thyroid cases is to have the blood sent to Dr Dodds
      for analysis at Hemopet at http://www.hemopet.org/services.html .

      > Last week the vomiting has gotten so bad 2x a day every day, I took
      > him in again. No weight gain in a month, but no loss either. The vet
      > and cardiologist conferred & agreed to take him off Atenolol and put
      > him on 1/4 of Famotadine 1x a day, to help get his vomiting under
      > control.
      As Candace said, I don't know if famotidine is going to do the trick. It
      might...but it's an acid blocker (basically). Something that might be helpful to
      calm down the digestive tract even tho it doesn't address vomiting from hyperT
      is slippery elm bark.

      I'm also concerned about dehydration with a vomiting cat, which gets more
      concerning with a heart cat. I hope that he's eating a meat-based
      species-appropriate diet with 60-80% moisture (that is, not dry food)...in which case, you
      can add some extra water to each meal. (Species-appropriate diet might also help
      with the chronic resp. problems...and there are other low-risk, gentle
      remedies for that, as well.) Another option is to give him some Hyland's BioPlasma
      daily, which helps replenish minerals in a very gentle way, which can in turn
      help with maintaining balanced hydration. (And some heart cats have had other
      benefits from BioPlasma as well.) If you need help with administering, just

      > I understand
      > Tapazole has a big side effect of vomiting, and a risk to his
      > kidneys
      And liver. In addition to slippery elm bark, another thing to think about is
      milk thistle, which can help support the liver, esp for cats taking Tap.

      > that damn bloodwork range being
      > ok... 2.4 (his results) sounded high to me, but they both felt it was
      > normal, yet I was told 2.5 - 4 was high. So he is borderline if
      > nothing else!
      See above. Here's also a little snippet from an old VIN article that is no
      longer online entitled "Basal Free Thyroid Hormone Determinations":

      "The finding of a high free T4 by dialysis concentration (despite a normal
      total T4) in a cat with a history and physical exam findings (e.g., a palpable
      thyroid nodule) consistent with hyperthyroidism, would support the diagnosis.
      Occasionally, however, cats with nonthyroidal illness have high free T4 by
      dialysis concentrations for reasons that are unclear. Therefore, to avoid a
      misdiagnoses of hyperthyroidism, free T4 should always be evaluated in conjunction
      with a the total T4 concentration. In general, an high free T4 by dialysis
      value and low total T4 concentration (< 20 nmol/L or 2 µg/dl) is indicative of
      nonthyroidal illness while a mid- to high-normal T4 concentration in conjunction
      with an high free T4 value (measured by dialysis) is suggestive of
      hyperthyroidism." // Rosemary

      Get a jump start on your taxes. Find a tax
      professional in your neighborhood today.