New Member -

  • judy.smith20
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2009
      Hi

      My cat, Little Girl aged 14 (15 in April :)), was diagnosed with
      cardiac hypertrophy on February 11 after I had taken her to the vet
      due to chronic vomiting. On an x-ray he saw that she had an enlarged
      heart. He didn't seem to concerned about this condition and she isn't
      on any heart medication. I'm finding information on the internet not
      to be all inclusive and joined this group to find out more.
    • Lisa Clarizia
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2009
        Hi Judy --

        Welcome to the list though I'm sorry you had to join us!

        First, you need to see another vet. An enlarged heart is ALWAYS something
        to "worry" about, and an X-Ray is just not enough by way of a diagnostic to
        say what's going on with your kitty.

        That's not to say that Little Girl is in immediate danger, but if her heart
        is enlarged, something is wrong, and she more than likely needs some kind of
        treatment to keep it from getting worse. The good news is that with meds,
        the disease progression often slows down considerably.

        All an X-Ray can tell you is that the heart looks larger than normal. There
        are several things which can cause that -- cardiomyopathy is one, but there
        are different forms of this (hypertrophic, dilated, restrictive, and some
        others) each of which has a different progression and requires different
        treatment. Then there are birth defects such as ventricular septal defect
        (my cat has this) which can cause a secondary form of cardiomyopathy.

        Accurate diagnosis is crucial to effective treatment. From what you say, it
        doesn't seem like your vet appreciates this, and Little Girl may need
        someone with more experience to help her.

        The best thing to do is to take her to see a feline cardiologist, if you
        can. They are best able to diagnose and prescribe a treatment course for
        such cats. If a cardiologist isn't available or is not financially
        feasible, the next best thing to do is hit the internet/phone book, start
        calling vets, and asking whether or not they have ever treated cats with
        this condition and what diagnostics they do for it. "Ultrasound" needs to
        be one of the answers because that's really the only way to tell what's
        going on.

        Thank goodness you thought to look around to get more information! Little
        Girl is very lucky to have you!

        Lisa

        On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 11:17 AM, judy.smith20 <judy.smith20@...>wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > My cat, Little Girl aged 14 (15 in April :)), was diagnosed with
        > cardiac hypertrophy on February 11 after I had taken her to the vet
        > due to chronic vomiting. On an x-ray he saw that she had an enlarged
        > heart. He didn't seem to concerned about this condition and she isn't
        > on any heart medication. I'm finding information on the internet not
        > to be all inclusive and joined this group to find out more.

      • moonpye
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 27, 2009
          Hi Judy, welcome to you and Little Girl, I'm glad you found us!

          Lisa has already given you wonderful information.. I agree the best
          thing for Little Girl is to see a feline cardiologist for an echocardiogram
          (heart ultrasound). The echo is the truest way to see what is really going
          on with her heart and what meds she may need. I would be concerned
          about the enlarged heart and the vomiting.

          We have files and links on the homepage that are very helpful. The FAQ's
          have a lot of information, they are in the Links.

          Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar :)

        • elfinmyst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28, 2009
            Hi

            I agree with everything that Lisa said.

            I am sorry to hear your little girl is poorly. I would also ask for a
            referral to a veterinary cardiologist to find out why the heart is enlarged. HCM
            can only be diagnosed with an ultrasound and there are other reasons a heart can
            be enlarged. Lisa explained this well. And treatment should begin quickly
            to stabilise and prevent further damage.

            Lyn :)