Re: [FH] New Member Chester

  • moonpye
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 27, 2009
      Hi Karen,

      Just a thought, you may want to ask your vet to run a FreeT4ED with the T4
      when
      Chester has his next blood test. High levels of activity with weight loss
      can be signs
      of Hyperthyroidism.

      From Tanya's crf:
      http://www.felinecrf.org/related_diseases.htm#hyperactive_thyroid

      "Occasionally the above tests may appear normal, but if you still suspect
      your cat has hyperT, you should ask your vet for a free T4 by equilibrium
      dialysis test; this test should not be relied upon in isolation, but can
      assist with making a diagnosis."

      Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar :)

    • savionna@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 27, 2009
        Hi Karen,

        In a message dated 2/25/09 2:42:06 PM, kcq@... writes:

        > I'm a new member along with my cat, Chester. Chester is about 15 (he was a
        > rescue so we aren't sure) and was diagnosed with HCM about two weeks ago.
        > Ultrasound also saw age related changes in his kidneys but blood and urine
        > tests did not show any kidney problems, so it's in the very early stages.

        Welcome to the group. If there is suspicion of (emerging) kidney issues, it
        might be wise to run the ERD test (urine) next time you're at the vet. It's a
        bit more sensitive than looking at the typical blood markers. Another important
        thing is to watch the urine specific gravity...also blood phosphorus.

        Also, I think it's important to keep in mind, esp when using diuretics, that
        hydration affects kidney values.

        > We're trying to get him to gain some weight but aren't having much luck.

        I'm going to second the suggestion to have a Free T4 EQD run along with the
        Total T4. It's important that they be read together. There's also cachexia, but
        I don't know if that applies in Chester's case.

        > And he loves the dried natural
        > cat treats.

        I think dehydrated meat treats such as Halo Liv-A-Little and Whole Life Pet
        are great. (There are also now dehydrated mouse treats if he might like that.)
        But treats that have grains and other junk in them are not a good idea.

        >   We let him eat as much as he wants and he does eat well, but
        > isn't gaining.  He isn't losing, either.  Is anyone having this experience

        > and, if so, were you able to get your kitty to gain a bit of weight?

        Some things to think about...so that you have some benchmarks...are keeping a
        record of how much Chester eats daily. The guideline for the average adult
        cat from the Merck Vet Manual and Natl Research Council is about 20-30 calories
        per lb ideal body weight per day (adjusted for individual needs, eg health,
        age, activity, etc). If Chester's ideal weight is 10 lbs, he should be eating
        about 200-300 calories/day. Most canned cat foods have about 30-35 calories per
        oz. Dry foods vary widely. Wellness CORE canned is about 35-40 cal/oz and dry
        is 536 cal/cup. There's information about the calorie content of many cat
        foods in the charts at http://geocities.com/jmpeerson under Diet-Related
        Documents...also on some mfr websites.

        Which leads to the next point. There are some high-quality,
        species-appropriate foods that are relatively high in calories. (It's important that calories
        always be seen in the context of nutrients with cats...eg, you don't want to
        feed them a pile of carbohydrate to pork them up, b/c there are other risks
        involved in doing that. It's sort of the same idea as "empty calories" with
        humans.) For example, Nature's Variety Instincts raw foods claim to have 65 cal/oz,
        which is about double most quality canned foods. (That does seem high to
        me...but Nature's Variety insists it's correct, and I haven't been able to get
        information to the contrary.) So if you like, and if Chester can be transitioned
        gradually and unstressfully to a fresh food, then that product might be a way
        to increase calories while also providing species-appropriate nutrition (it's
        not perfect but it's one of the better premade fresh foods).

        Another thing is feeding many small meals per day, which synchs up with the
        small cat's natural feed behavior as well as metabolism. We fed on demand with
        our old guy...which amounted to feeding about 10x/day. That's not possible for
        everyone...but most caregivers can swing 4 meals, and if you use a timed
        feeder or similar (or just leave food out), it can increase. If Chester loves
        treats, maybe also crush or shred a little treat chunk and sprinkle it over food,
        to increase the smell. Some other bribes, depending on what he likes, might be
        pure meat baby food, a hard stinky cheese, goat-milk cheese or yoghurt,
        catnip.

        Also, injectable Vit B12 is a gentle appetite stimulant that has other
        benefits, with very low risk. It's Rx-only in the US (OTC in Canada), so a vet would
        need to provide prefilled syringes or an Rx. Usual concentration is
        1000mcg/mL...but it's also available in 3000mcg and 5000mcg per mL. I usually go for
        the high concentration, so we can use less...but when injecting small amts, it's
        not that big a deal. We can help you out with sources, syringes, and doses if
        needed.

        One other little thing. I know you need Chester to eat...and I think anything
        within reason is fine. But dry food has a number of significant drawbacks for
        cats, incl lack of moisture, which is important with heart cats in
        particular, tho it has potentially negative consequences for all cats. So to the extent
        possible, it would be to Chester's benefit to move away from the dry CORE and
        onto moisture-rich meat-based foods. I'm not a big fan of CORE canned, b/c the
        mfr is just cashing in on the brand identity. Cats don't need the potatoes in
        it, even tho they are not in the top 5 ingredients. And I would not be
        feeding the all-fish flavor regularly (a number of risks with fish for cats), unless
        Chester needs the fish smell to be inspired to eat (in which case, you might
        be able to use it for a bribe). The regular Wellness line doesn't have
        potatoes...and has 6 grainfree flavors, both meat and meat-fish. // Rosemary

      • KarenQ
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 28, 2009
          >>Just a thought, you may want to ask your vet to run a FreeT4ED with the T4
          when

          Chester has his next blood test. High levels of activity with weight loss
          can be signs

          of Hyperthyroidism.<<

          Thanks, Candace. When Chester's T4 was normal but he was still very active
          with weight loss, this was done as well. I didn't realize this wasn't
          routine and am glad to know my vet's doing a thorough job!

          Karen

        • KarenQ
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 28, 2009
            Rosemary, thanks for all of the info!

            >>If there is suspicion of (emerging) kidney issues, it might be wise to run
            the ERD test (urine) next time you're at the vet.<<
            We did this when Chester had his ultrasound two weeks ago. Our

            >>I'm going to second the suggestion to have a Free T4 EQD run along with
            the
            Total T4.<<
            Also done.

            >>There's information about the calorie content of many cat
            foods in the charts at http://geocities.com/jmpeerson under Diet-Related
            Documents...also on some mfr websites. <<
            Thanks. I'll check this out.

            And thanks also, for all of the food info. I had a severely epileptic dog
            and spent a lot of time throughout his life researching food, and even fed
            him a homemade diet for years, so I'm very interested in learning as much as
            I can about feeding options for Chester and Sammy (our other cat). I do
            feed them small meals spaced out over the day with the dry food left while
            I'm working. It's not a large amount and is balanced with the wet food to
            provide the correct amount of daily nutrition. I don't want them to eat too
            much! Overweight is dangerous, too. J BTW, I don't use the all fish
            flavor. Chester's had a sensitivity to fish based foods for a while. And
            I'll take a look at the Wellness grain-free foods, too.

            Karen