Re:Does a heart murmur lead to HCM?

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2009
      Hi

      I have cats with heart murmurs who had clinical HCM and cats with heart
      murmurs (up to grade 3) who didn't. Those who didn't had the murmur caused by a
      leaky heart valve and didn't have any symptoms and the murmurs have remained
      the same over several years. Toby is one, and he's had his murmur since 6
      months. His yearly heart scan has shown no sign of HCM, but that doesn't mean
      he'll never get it in the future.

      All Toby has is a leaky tricuspid valve and he doesn't need any medication
      for it. Two of my older females also have leaky vavles and it seems very common
      in British shorthair cats, but doesn't seem harmful.

      A yearly echo would be a sensible precaution and you can ask the
      cardiologist what is causing the murmur.

      Lyn :)