Re: weight lost a symptom of HCM?

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10, 2009
      Hi Amanda,

      I read an article by Dr. Joanne Howl, DVM in the Nov 2000 issue of
      Alternative Magazine that talked about this. Cats and dogs with end
      stage HCM often times develop cachexia. This is from that article.

      "Animals in late stage heart disease use so much energy just
      maintaining circulation and trying to breathe that the pounds fall
      away. Soon the state of cachexia, a serious imbalance in body
      metabolism, develops. In cachexia the body devours it's own protein,
      cuasing a weakened immune system and imbalances in body chemistry.
      In this stage the pet should be encouraged to eat, especially highly
      digestible protein and high calorie, low salt meals."

      The article went on to suggest that high doses of fish oil
      supplements (18mg per lb of EPA and 11mg per lb of DHA) have shown
      benefit in animals with cachexia and may be helpful in maintaining
      regular heart rhythm.

      Cachexia leads to not only weight loss but more serious loss of
      muscle mass.

      We're going through this with Snowball, no matter how much she eats,
      and it's really not enough, she just keeps losing weight and she's
      lost so much muscle in her hind end, she's just a little boney butt.
      It takes feeding her many small meals during the day to get her to
      eat enough to just maintain her weight. She was never a huge cat, but
      she went from about 10 1/2 lbs down to 7lb and about 9oz in one year.
      Now she hovers around 7lb 13oz, but we can't seem to get her any
      higher than that. As long as she stays there, I'm happy with that at
      least.

      hugs,
      Carol and Snowball and the gang.
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10, 2009
        Oops, I left out a word. It was Alternative Medicine Magazine.

        Carol and Snowball and the gang
      • Kathy Wood
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 10, 2009
          This probably doesn't matter if the cat is late stages, but I confirmed
          w/Sangie's cardiologist last week that if a kitty is taking an anti
          coagulent (heperin, plavix, etc) that you shouldn't give fish oil since
          it has similar anti coag properties. This was a bummer to me b/c Sangie
          had been taking for a long time to help w/her mild asthma. I'm not sure
          what effect it would have w/the below circumstances.
          k-

          --
          Kathy Wood
          Executive Program Manager