new member with a question

  • Mmayer11
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2009
      Yesterday Izzy, my 8 year old male/neutered cat, was DX with HCM. An EKG and an ultrasound were done. CBC/SuperChem blood work was sent out, including a sample for T4...results are pending. A chest x-ray revealed considerable damage to his lungs. The cardiologist said he was at the end stage of heart disease.
      ?
      However Izzy shows no obvious symptoms. While at the hospital those examining him remarked that he appears at the peek of health. Indeed this is true, he has a glossy thick coat, good energy, cheerful spirit, and an excellent appetite. If he had not fallen over Friday night...I'm not sure if he fainted...it was as though he suddenly dropped dead. He came out of it slowly after about 1 minute --1 1/2 minutes. He panted heavily for a few moments, and then stretched out and rested quietly as though he was collecting himself. The rest of the night there were no further episodes. The next morning he behaved as though nothing had happened out of the ordinary. The episode I described happened directly after rough play with his brother.

      I have been reading through Feline-heart's archives, but so far I see no mention of lung problems with regard to heart disorders. Can anyone help me understand the connection?

      At the moment Izzy has started 1/4 of a 81 mg aspirin every other day. I'm about to pick up a prescription for Izzy, not sure if we decided on enapril as the only drug we are going to add right now. He's to return for a follow up visit in 2 weeks.

      I would be enormously grateful for any input from members who have faced a similar set of circumstances with their cat.
      Thanks in advance.

      ?Marianna

    • Don
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2009
        I cannot comment on lung issues but I can say that unless you have
        x-rays of how Izzy's lungs looked years ago there is no way to know if
        this is something new or if he has always been this way. For example,
        one of our cats had a seizure last fall. I rushed him to the vet and
        the vet checked his heart which was fine. He then checked his eyes
        and noticed some Nystagmus (movement of the eyes back and forth) and
        told me he probably had brain damage that caused the seizure. Well
        since there way no way to know if he had always had the Nystagmus he
        cannot confirm any brain issues. It's been more than 6 months with no
        other issues. Cats can adjust to compromised function and this could
        have been since birth.
        Don

        On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Mmayer11 <mmayer11@...> wrote:

        > Yesterday Izzy, my 8 year old male/neutered cat, was DX with HCM. An EKG and
        > an ultrasound were done. CBC/SuperChem blood work was sent out, including a
        > sample for T4...results are pending. A chest x-ray revealed considerable
        > damage to his lungs. The cardiologist said he was at the end stage of heart
        > disease.
        > ?
        > However Izzy shows no obvious symptoms. While at the hospital those
        > examining him remarked that he appears at the peek of health. Indeed this is
        > true, he has a glossy thick coat, good energy, cheerful spirit, and an
        > excellent appetite. If he had not fallen over Friday night...I'm not sure if
        > he fainted...it was as though he suddenly dropped dead. He came out of it
        > slowly after about 1 minute --1 1/2 minutes. He panted heavily for a few
        > moments, and then stretched out and rested quietly as though he was
        > collecting himself. The rest of the night there were no further episodes.
        > The next morning he behaved as though nothing had happened out of the
        > ordinary. The episode I described happened directly after rough play with
        > his brother.
        >
        > I have been reading through Feline-heart's archives, but so far I see no
        > mention of lung problems with regard to heart disorders. Can anyone help me
        > understand the connection?
        >
        > At the moment Izzy has started 1/4 of a 81 mg aspirin every other day. I'm
        > about to pick up a prescription for Izzy, not sure if we decided on enapril
        > as the only drug we are going to add right now. He's to return for a follow
        > up visit in 2 weeks.
        >
        > I would be enormously grateful for any input from members who have faced a
        > similar set of circumstances with their cat.
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > ?Marianna

      • Judi Levens
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2009
          My cat Max, 12.5 yrs old was diagnosed with HCM after an episode of congestive heart failure in October of 2007...the prognosis was dim at the time...the best I could get anyone to say sounded like 3 mos +/-. He went onto enalapril and lasix as well as the supplements COQ10 and Nattokinase and he is doing fine. he doesn't appear sick at all, and yet, we know that he is and that he could go at any time. I don't think there are too many real exact diagnoses with this disease...it progresses differently in different animals (Max's cardiologist said that his is progressing rapidly.) Also, Max's sister died fairly quickly of what appears (after the fact) to have been two clots in as many days, no doubt from heart disease...she was very healthy looking and strong, although overweight.) I don't know about the lung damage, just that the heart and lungs are connected, and Max doesn't seem to have any specific lung problem. I also don't know about the "fainting" although many people here have described similar experiences. It could be that your time with Izzy will be short, but don't "assume" that...sometimes they really surprise everyone. I find it best to just treat every day as a special gift wih Max...we've gotten even closer since he's been sick, and he's always been a love. I don't know what I'll do when he goes, but I do know that we have loved him very much and he has loved us back...what more can we ask for in our pets?
          good luck with Izzy...Judi and Max

          To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.comFrom: mmayer11@...: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 14:37:28 -0500Subject: [FH] new member with a question

          Yesterday Izzy, my 8 year old male/neutered cat, was DX with HCM. An EKG and an ultrasound were done. CBC/SuperChem blood work was sent out, including a sample for T4...results are pending. A chest x-ray revealed considerable damage to his lungs. The cardiologist said he was at the end stage of heart disease.?However Izzy shows no obvious symptoms. While at the hospital those examining him remarked that he appears at the peek of health. Indeed this is true, he has a glossy thick coat, good energy, cheerful spirit, and an excellent appetite. If he had not fallen over Friday night...I'm not sure if he fainted...it was as though he suddenly dropped dead. He came out of it slowly after about 1 minute --1 1/2 minutes. He panted heavily for a few moments, and then stretched out and rested quietly as though he was collecting himself. The rest of the night there were no further episodes. The next morning he behaved as though nothing had happened out of the ordinary. The episode I described happened directly after rough play with his brother.I have been reading through Feline-heart's archives, but so far I see no mention of lung problems with regard to heart disorders. Can anyone help me understand the connection?At the moment Izzy has started 1/4 of a 81 mg aspirin every other day. I'm about to pick up a prescription for Izzy, not sure if we decided on enapril as the only drug we are going to add right now. He's to return for a follow up visit in 2 weeks.I would be enormously grateful for any input from members who have faced a similar set of circumstances with their cat.Thanks in advance.?Marianna[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

        • elfinmyst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2009
            Hi

            Can you explain what sort of lung damage he has? Heart disease can lead to
            fluid on the lungs, but damage I`m a little confused with. My Milli has lung
            damage due to high pressures from her heart disease, but it's treated with
            Fortekor. She's coping well. My Hcm girls have no lung disease.

            Was there a lump or shadow? And did they discuss the possibility of asthma?

            The question would be if the heart disease was causing the lung problem, or
            the other way around. Don't worry about 'end stage' diagnosis. My Trixi was
            given an end stage diagnosis (2 months to live) and that was over two years
            ago. If he's breathing well and has medication, it may stabilise his condition.

            The fainting is syncope. It's also seen in human heart disease. It's a
            sudden lack of oxygen to the brain and is serious. It's good he has medication to
            help his heart.

            I know these are difficult questions, but if you can answer them it should
            give a better idea so we can help.

            :) Lyn