Sebastian's vet opted NO surgery at this time!

  • Cluvaughn28
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2009
      My name is Elaine, I am so relieved that my 10 year old snowshoe cat,
      Sebastian, won't be getting the unidentified enlarged nodule in his
      neck surgically removed for at least a month. He was diagnosed with
      HOCM on Monday 2-2-09, put on Atenolol (1/4 of a 25mg pill Daily). All
      3 blood & urine tests taken this month have come back NORMAL in every
      category (diabetes, kidneys, liver, thyroid etc) but he has ALL the
      classic signs of Hyperthyroid. But his cardiologist (Dr. Cole, Exton,
      PA) wants to stabilize him on Atenolol before putting him through
      surgery, he is hoping that Sabi's system will slow down and be able to
      gain weight. If not, if Sabi's continues to lose weight (was 19 lbs
      mid-2007 is now 10 lbs), even though he eats throughout the day at his
      feeder, they will remove the lump which they believe is an enlarged
      thyroid, biopsy and see what is going on.
      I hope he stabilizes on the Atenolol and it slows down his heart
      enough to allow his body to get his metabolism on track and gain some
      weight, or at the very least stop losing weight.
      Either way I'm just glad to jump into putting him through surgery
      right away after the last few days of testing, poking and prodding!
    • moonpye
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2009
        Hi Elaine,

        Sebastian seems to have all the symptoms of Hyperthyroidism. Why is the
        vet/cardio not starting Methimazole/Tapazole first instead of wanting to do
        thyroid surgery?

        What was Sebastian's T4 level on the blood test? Was a FreeT4ED run at the
        same time?

        Normal T4 for kitties over 7 years old is not the same as for younger
        kitties.

        I just wonder why wanting to do surgery, instead of treating with
        Methimazole first. I have two kitties who are doing well on Methimazole.

        Has the cardio discussed the I131 with you as another option as well?

        Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar :)