New Member Question - CHF

  • klagenbergk
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2009
      Hello everyone!

      My cat Pippin was diagnosed with HCM in the fall of 2000. Yes - he
      really has HCM, he sees a cardiologist regularly, and take lots of
      medications. Pippin has been really lucky.

      He is in the end stages now. He had CHF on Thanksgiving this past
      year, and they gave us the "quality of life" talk. Pippin, of course,
      decided the day after coming home from the hospital that he had to go
      outside and chase the birds, and thinks the vets don't know what they
      are talking about. He is very happy now, and the vets continue to be
      surprised by his level of activity.

      But I know we must be close now. I am wondering how long people have
      had cats live once they have had CHF. Pippin has also had blood
      clots and is on lovenex, and they tell us that the lovenex is not
      controlling the clots 100% any more, and that he might die from a
      blood clot.

      Yesterday, as I watched him lying on his back in the sun, I realized
      how confused I feel about it. It's not just that he is doing well,
      he is in his early teens, and is more active that my other cats.
      He's not hyperthyroid. (They test for that over and over again.) But
      his heart wall measurements don't lie. So what should I expect?

      I just don't know what to think. I guess it would help to know other
      people's experiences after CHF.

      --Kirsten