New Member

  • starfevre
    Message 1 of 113 , Feb 3 11:33 AM
      Hi everyone,

      My name is Kristina. This isn't an emergency since my cat in question
      (Gizmo, ~5yo, neutered male) was diagnosed way back in October 2007.
      I'm just hoping to get some knowledge.

      I adopted Gizmo back in September 2007 from the no-kill shelter I
      volunteer with. In his cage, he was energetic and loud. He wasn't
      doing well in his cage (getting more aggressive, actually bit another
      volunteer the day before I took him home), and I knew he would do well
      with me. In the year and a half I've had him, I haven't been proven
      wrong yet.

      He spent the next week in my bathroom. I had 2 other cats at the time
      that had been with me for a couple of years. He seemed pretty
      healthy. When I started letting him out to get used to the rest of my
      condo, I think the stress started getting to him. He caught a nasty
      URI (bloody sneezes, hunched up, lethargy, the whole 9 yards), so I
      brought him in for a vet visit. He needed his shots anyway.

      The vet, however, got a really funny look on his face within about 5
      seconds of listening to Giz's heart. I spent the next month running
      around to various vets including a cardiologist and attempting to get
      Giz stable while dealing with his URI, heart issues, GI distress (they
      thought he had IBS for a while), and the ringworm he picked up
      probably in one of the vet offices and promptly spread to everyone
      else including me (figures).

      He was on, at various times during this: prednisone (since finished),
      clavamox and other antibiotics, tylosin (another antibiotic for his
      stomach. worked really well too), various ringworm meds, and
      propranolol in various doses. As an aside, ringworm is really hard to
      get rid of in a cat that is on an immunosuppressant.

      He's currently taking 30mg of propranolol twice a day. The
      cardiologist says his murmur is mostly gone and the gallop rhythm
      comes and goes. He's scheduled for another ultrasound for the end of
      this month. My vets are talking to each other then about whether it's
      safe enough for him to get his teeth cleaned.

      He's a little skinnier than he used to be because a few months ago he
      started dropping weight and we couldn't figure out why. Apparently,
      for whatever reason, his blood protein (the albumin) is low and it's
      making it hard for him to retain fluids and other stuff. The cats had
      all been on prescription I/D food for that time because one of my
      older cats that were adopted after Gizmo (a brother-sister pair, 10
      years old) came down with pancreatitis and I was trying to find a food
      she could eat without that flaring up again. I've since moved on to
      Weruva cat food in the hopes that the protein is high enough for
      Gizmo, but low enough for Groucho (pancreatic cat).

      I think that's enough babble now. Thanks for reading.
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 113 of 113 , Jun 15, 2012
        Hi Dayna

        I am sorry to hear of your poorly boy. There are medications which can help
        and the two which come to mind are ACE inhibitors like fortekor and
        pimobendan (vetmedin in the UK). I would take him for a repeat echo as soon as
        possible to see how much progression his heart disease has and see what
        medications would assist him. A cardiologist would be the best bet for expert
        advice if he hasn't seen one.

        If he has fluid on his lungs, a diuretic can help with that as well.