Re: New Member - congestive heart failure and HCM

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2 9:38 PM
      hi,

      Welcome to the group. Sorry though that you have to be here.

      Back in 2003 my angel Sweetie was diagnosed with congestive heart
      failure, and the vets said she might have a month or two at most. She
      pulled through and was fairly stable most of the time for another 10
      months, and it wasn't her heart that took her, it was her other
      problems (kidney failure and hypertension).

      There's really no way that anyone can say how long a kitty might
      have, but to put a time limit on it, I don't think is fair or true.
      With a lot of careful monitoring and good care from you, Janet could
      pull through and have a good life for a while yet.

      There are supplements that can help strengthen the heart and
      medications that keep the fluid at bay. Most of the time they get
      Lasix, which is a diuretic. There are others that can be used in
      combination with Lasix (Spironolactone, HCTZ-hydrochlorothyazide),
      and there are diuretic herbs that can help too (dandelion leaf).
      Using herbs in conjunction with medications can sometimes make it so
      you don't need as much of the medications, but that should be
      discussed with a holistic vet who is well versed in using the
      meds/herbs.

      Supplements for the heart are L-carnitine, taurine, DMG
      (dimethylglycine), CoQ10, then there's a combination supplement
      called CardioStrength from VetriScience that some folks use with good
      results.

      If you go to the home page and click on the "Files", there is info
      about supplements and dosages and a lot of other info. There is also
      a lot of info in the "Links" section too.

      Hang in there. We'll send lots of healing energy to Janet and hope
      that she get through this initial hurdle and is back home with you
      soon.

      hugs,
      Carol and Snowball and the gang
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3 4:11 PM
        Malea,

        I know it all sounds so grim, but there have been kitties who have
        thrown clots who have had some success with recovery. There are other
        members here who have had kitties with severe clots who have pulled
        through. Hopefully they'll write you too.

        What the vets need to do is get her on something to address the clots,
        right away, be that Heparin or if you use the Nattokinase. I think
        using the Heparin to start would be the fastest way to start thinning
        out the clots. If they don't know for sure where the clots are, heart,
        lungs, wherever, the Heparin will start breaking them up.

        When our angel Chris threw clots in summer 2007, they didn't think
        he'd make it. But we got him on medication, the Heparin at first, then
        Nattokinase after he was more stable, and they had him on Atenolol and
        we gave him Taurine, CoQ10, DMG, and fish oil in his food. He
        recovered, and again, like with my angel Sweetie, it wasn't his heart
        that took him, but his CRF (he had kidney failure too).

        All of us who have had and do have cats who have thrown clots take the
        chance that they're going to throw another one at any time that could
        take them in an instant or make them incapacitated again, but that's
        what we live with. I don't think I'd give up just yet. Taking her
        home and you caring for her and a lot of love go a long way sometimes.
        Those are things the doctors don't consider when they give us a
        diagnosis.

        I sincerely hope that you can turn this around for Janet. We're
        praying for you both.

        hugs,
        Carol and Snowball and the gang
        Thank you for the support.
        Unfortunately, the docs believe that she is throwing clots into her
        lungs and cardiac tissue as well. Her QRS waves on her EKG are
        reversed now too. She is stable they say and eating a little bit, but
        they said I should start thinking about my options. The vet said I
        could take her home and she could throw a major clot at any point and
        die any time (with a couple months being optimistic) or I could have
        her put down. I just can't believe that I am in a situation now where
        I need to make this decision. I don't know what the humane thing to do
        is. Any help or support would be greatly appreciated.