Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

New Member - congestive heart failure and HCM

Expand Messages
  • malea.glick
    Hello all, I (unfortunately) am a new member to this group. Thank goodness you all are here though! I have been scouring the internet for hours now trying to
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      Hello all,

      I (unfortunately) am a new member to this group. Thank goodness you
      all are here though! I have been scouring the internet for hours now
      trying to find information and am completely discouraged... but let me
      back up a bit.

      My 12 year old cat, Janet, was diagnosed with "hypertrophic
      cardiomyopathy and sever diastolic dysfunction, recently in congestive
      heart failure" just this evening and I am absolutely devastated. She
      was fine just four days ago, slight gi distress, but nothing big I
      thought. and then all of a sudden she stopped eating and in two days
      she basically couldn't move. I took her to the emergency room and was
      told that she was most likely in congestive heart failure. She's been
      there two nights now and is still not completely stable. The
      cardiologist seems to think that she might still have a few months
      left in her. I just want her to be as comfortable and pain-free as
      possible.

      Does anyone else have experience with congestive heart failure
      associated with HCM? I'd love to hear of at least one story of a
      feline friend pulling through.
    • Carol
      hi, Welcome to the group. Sorry though that you have to be here. Back in 2003 my angel Sweetie was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, and the vets said
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
        hi,

        Welcome to the group. Sorry though that you have to be here.

        Back in 2003 my angel Sweetie was diagnosed with congestive heart
        failure, and the vets said she might have a month or two at most. She
        pulled through and was fairly stable most of the time for another 10
        months, and it wasn't her heart that took her, it was her other
        problems (kidney failure and hypertension).

        There's really no way that anyone can say how long a kitty might
        have, but to put a time limit on it, I don't think is fair or true.
        With a lot of careful monitoring and good care from you, Janet could
        pull through and have a good life for a while yet.

        There are supplements that can help strengthen the heart and
        medications that keep the fluid at bay. Most of the time they get
        Lasix, which is a diuretic. There are others that can be used in
        combination with Lasix (Spironolactone, HCTZ-hydrochlorothyazide),
        and there are diuretic herbs that can help too (dandelion leaf).
        Using herbs in conjunction with medications can sometimes make it so
        you don't need as much of the medications, but that should be
        discussed with a holistic vet who is well versed in using the
        meds/herbs.

        Supplements for the heart are L-carnitine, taurine, DMG
        (dimethylglycine), CoQ10, then there's a combination supplement
        called CardioStrength from VetriScience that some folks use with good
        results.

        If you go to the home page and click on the "Files", there is info
        about supplements and dosages and a lot of other info. There is also
        a lot of info in the "Links" section too.

        Hang in there. We'll send lots of healing energy to Janet and hope
        that she get through this initial hurdle and is back home with you
        soon.

        hugs,
        Carol and Snowball and the gang
      • Carol
        Malea, I know it all sounds so grim, but there have been kitties who have thrown clots who have had some success with recovery. There are other members here
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
        • 0 Attachment
          Malea,

          I know it all sounds so grim, but there have been kitties who have
          thrown clots who have had some success with recovery. There are other
          members here who have had kitties with severe clots who have pulled
          through. Hopefully they'll write you too.

          What the vets need to do is get her on something to address the clots,
          right away, be that Heparin or if you use the Nattokinase. I think
          using the Heparin to start would be the fastest way to start thinning
          out the clots. If they don't know for sure where the clots are, heart,
          lungs, wherever, the Heparin will start breaking them up.

          When our angel Chris threw clots in summer 2007, they didn't think
          he'd make it. But we got him on medication, the Heparin at first, then
          Nattokinase after he was more stable, and they had him on Atenolol and
          we gave him Taurine, CoQ10, DMG, and fish oil in his food. He
          recovered, and again, like with my angel Sweetie, it wasn't his heart
          that took him, but his CRF (he had kidney failure too).

          All of us who have had and do have cats who have thrown clots take the
          chance that they're going to throw another one at any time that could
          take them in an instant or make them incapacitated again, but that's
          what we live with. I don't think I'd give up just yet. Taking her
          home and you caring for her and a lot of love go a long way sometimes.
          Those are things the doctors don't consider when they give us a
          diagnosis.

          I sincerely hope that you can turn this around for Janet. We're
          praying for you both.

          hugs,
          Carol and Snowball and the gang
          Thank you for the support.
          Unfortunately, the docs believe that she is throwing clots into her
          lungs and cardiac tissue as well. Her QRS waves on her EKG are
          reversed now too. She is stable they say and eating a little bit, but
          they said I should start thinking about my options. The vet said I
          could take her home and she could throw a major clot at any point and
          die any time (with a couple months being optimistic) or I could have
          her put down. I just can't believe that I am in a situation now where
          I need to make this decision. I don't know what the humane thing to do
          is. Any help or support would be greatly appreciated.
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.