Istaroxime drug - potential for treating HCM

  • Carole
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
      I just received my March issue of Cat Fancy and noted an article on
      the potential use of Istaroxime with cats. It is a novel cardiac drug
      being studied to treat congestive heart failure in people. It
      improves the heart's ability to contract and pump blood...

      To see more about the study look for Dr. Kornreich's study in the
      Cornell 2007 annual report:
      http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/annual/FelineAnnualReport07.pdf
    • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2009
        Hi all,

        My kitty Boo has HCM. Today we had her at the vet because she's been licking
        and scratching her fur off. Vet diagnosed her as having an allergy, not sure
        to what and prescribed some antibiotics and prednisone. He said this type of
        allergy typically presents itself in cats about Boo's age and it's hard to
        figure out what is causing the reaction.

        This was not her normal vet, but another in the same practice. He knows Boo
        has HCM and is on benazipril. We asked about using prednisone with heart
        kitties and he said it was the injectable form that was to be avoided and
        that oral prednisone would be okay for her.

        I have read that prednisone is not good for heart kitties, but he seemed
        certain the oral form was okay. But, I'm not sure and wanted to hear what
        you all had to say. I don't want her to continue suffering the allergies,
        she's literally taken all the fur off her neck and I'm guessing she'll be
        completely hairless if we don't stop the underlying cause (though I don't
        think giving her prednisone is really getting at the cause either, the vet
        had no idea what she could be allergic to and no suggestions on finding
        out). But, I also don't want to treat the allergies at the risk of her heart
        if there's something else we could do instead.

        Thanks for any info,

        Sue
      • Judi Levens
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2009
          Hi Sue; I have never heard that oral prednisone is OK, but I lost one kitty to injected prednisone and almost lost another through CHF as a result of injected prednisone...SO, I wouldn't even think of taking a chance...consult a cardiologist about this, or at the least an IM doc...it's not worth taking the chance...Judi and Max

          To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.comFrom: npumie@...: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 09:15:46 -0500Subject: [FH] Prednisone

[...]

        • starfevre
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2009
            Hi all,

            When my kitty was first diagnosed with hcm, he was also having a
            terrible flareup of what we assume was IBD and he was given oral
            prednisone (prednisolone?). Other than the immunosuppressant effects
            (he had a cold and ringworm also at the time), the prednisone didn't
            seem to affect him badly. He was on it for 2-3 weeks, I don't
            remember the dosage.

            Kristina

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 8, 2009
              Thanks Judi. That was what is odd about this conversation with the vet. He
              said injected is bad for heart kitties, but oral would be okay. He explained
              it in terms of how it enters the system.

              Sue