RE: [FH] question -- is catnip safe for kitties with heart problems?

  • Judi Levens
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2009
      I've continued to give Max catnip on a regular basis with no problems, but there were mixed opinions on this site when I asked the question; it may be up to the individual cat. Max has asthma, so I don't give it to him if there is anything at all which could be a problem with his breathing, but if all else is fine, he loves it without any difficulties. good luck...Judi and max

      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      From: linda.lee@...
      Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 17:07:57 +0000
      Subject: [FH] question -- is catnip safe for kitties with heart problems?

      Hi everyone,

      I apologize in advance if this seems like a silly question, but I'm

      wondering if it's safe to give my cat, Merlin, catnip. He has

      hypertrophic cardiomyopathy progressing to restrictive cardiomyopathy

      (diagnosed in December). Both he and my other cat really enjoy catnip,

      and I'm wondering whether this is a safe treat now, or whether it will

      get him too worked up. Obviously, it's impossible to give catnip just

      to Nero, and I hate to deprive them of something they enjoy so much if

      it isn't necessary to do so.

      Thanks,

      Linda, Merlin and Nero