question -- is catnip safe for kitties with heart problems?

  • Linda Lee
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2009
      Hi everyone,

      I apologize in advance if this seems like a silly question, but I'm
      wondering if it's safe to give my cat, Merlin, catnip. He has
      hypertrophic cardiomyopathy progressing to restrictive cardiomyopathy
      (diagnosed in December). Both he and my other cat really enjoy catnip,
      and I'm wondering whether this is a safe treat now, or whether it will
      get him too worked up. Obviously, it's impossible to give catnip just
      to Nero, and I hate to deprive them of something they enjoy so much if
      it isn't necessary to do so.

      Thanks,
      Linda, Merlin and Nero
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2009
        Hi Linda,

        Catnip can have a sedative, calming effect. After the initial "high"
        that the kitty's brain experiences, afterwards they can become sleepy
        and calm.

        http://www.boutiquekittens.com/Catnip.298.0.html
        Catnip has an ingredient in it, called Nepetalactone, which is
        released as a particular scent when the leaves of the plant are
        crushed and the plant's oils are secreted. For five to fifteen
        minutes, the inhalation of this ingredient affects a receptor in your
        cat's olfactory system and triggers feelings of euphoria and
        playfulness. After the reaction has subsided, it can be experienced
        all over again in about an hour, with re-exposure to the catnip.

        Surprisingly, it is not only domesticated cats that have such strong
        reactions to Nepetalactone. Large cats, tigers especially, are very
        sensitive to the effects of catnip.

        Some people worry that cats exhibiting such strong reactions to
        catnip might suffer side effects from it, but adverse reactions are
        very rare. The results of catnip exposure last only a short time,
        and may be followed by sleepy or sedated behavior, which is common
        with cats that eat the herb instead of just rolling on it. Some
        cats, such as the very young or the very old, may show no reaction to
        catnip at all. If you do observe vomiting or diarrhea in your pet
        after they've eaten catnip, limit their consumption. And don't worry
        about your pet becoming addicted – catnip is a non-habit forming
        substance.

        If you google "catnip side effects in cats" you'll come up with a
        bunch of sites that have more info.

        I did read on a lot of the sites I visited that you shouldn't give
        more than a teaspoon a week... I guess maybe they can become too
        drunk!

        Another site mentioned that in humans, catnip has a diuretic effect
        if ingested, so I'd be careful about that too.

        http://www.answers.com/topic/catnip
        Catnip has diuretic properties, and may increase the frequency and
        amount of urination. It can also cause an upset stomach in some
        individuals.

        Because of the sedative qualities of catnip, individuals taking the
        herb should use caution when driving or operating machinery.

        hugs,
        Carol and Snowball and the gang.
      • Judi Levens
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2009
          I've continued to give Max catnip on a regular basis with no problems, but there were mixed opinions on this site when I asked the question; it may be up to the individual cat. Max has asthma, so I don't give it to him if there is anything at all which could be a problem with his breathing, but if all else is fine, he loves it without any difficulties. good luck...Judi and max

          To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com