Re:Afraid to keep giving Prenisolone to Mama - any ideas?

  • Elegantzebra
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
      My sincere apologies - the product I was refereing to is Standard Process
      Feline Cardiac Support:
      The toxic ingredients are alfalfa, kelp. I also question several other
      ingredients. The product by Veri Science is OK.
      Here is the list of the SP product:

      Supplement Facts
      Ingredients: Bovine orchic CytosolT extract, bovine adrenal, bovine heart
      PMGT extract, bovine liver, Tillandsia usneoides, alfalfa juice, bovine and
      ovine spleen, L-carnitine, bovine heart CytosolT extract, buckwheat leaf
      juice and seed, bovine kidney, Emblica officinalis, rice bran, pea vine
      juice, nutritional yeast, Crataegus oxyacantha, ribonucleic acid, kelp,
      bovine adrenal CytosolT extract, wheat germ oil, oat flour, and bone meal.

      Sorry, I was in a hurry and got the two names confused.

      Faye

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
        I looked up all the ingredients as much as I could find and here's
        some info. Personally, I don't like this supplement... too many
        ingredients and no explanation as to why they're in there. They make
        a plain glandular in their "human" line called Cardiotrophin PMG,
        which is just Bovine heart. I might use that one instead.

        This is what Standard Process says about it's ingredients:

        http://www.standardprocess.com/display/VeterinaryCatalog.spi?ID=346
        Unique Product Attributes: The ingredients in Feline Cardiac Support
        work together to promote the healthy functioning of the feline heart.

        Rice bran, pea vine, buckwheat, and alfalfa juice:
        -Whole vitamin complexes and chelated minerals complement and enhance
        the beneficial effects of the tissue factors
        -Whole food based vitamin E complex offers strong antioxidant
        protection

        Bovine heart, liver, and kidney; and bovine and ovine spleen:
        -Support corresponding tissues in the feline

        Heart Protomorphogen™ extracts; and heart and adrenal Cytosol™
        extracts:
        Standard Process' unique glandular extracts
        -Support the internal nutritional environment and help maintain
        normal myocardial cell function

        Emblica officinalis (Indian gooseberry) and Crataegus oxyacantha
        (Hawthorn):
        -Support heart health at the cellular level

        So, all of these ingredients I'm assuming are the glandulars.

        Bovine orchic CytosolT extract,
        bovine adrenal,
        bovine heart PMGT extract,
        bovine liver,
        bovine and ovine spleen,
        bovine heart CytosolT extract,
        bovine kidney,
        bovine adrenal CytosolT extract,

        Then there's the L-carnitine, hawthorn extract and bone meal.

        L-carnitine
        Crataegus oxyacantha (hawthorn)
        bone meal

        It looks like the Spanish moss, buckwheat and Indian gooseberry are
        safe for cats from what I found. The Spanish moss possibly is in
        there for it's blood glucose properties, which I'm not sure how that
        relates to heart kitties. The buckwheat is in there because it
        contains Rutin. The Indian gooseberry for it's antioxidant
        properties.

        Tillandsia usneoides (Spanish moss)
        http://www.wildflower.org/expert/show.php?id=653
        extracts of Spanish Moss (Tillandsia usneoides), a non-parasitic
        epiphyte in the pineapple family, have been found in a few studies to
        reduce blood glucose in laboratory animals. The compound primarily
        responsible is called HMG, short for 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaric acid.
        HMG is now featured as an ingredient in a few herbal diabetic
        supplements.

        buckwheat leaf juice and seed
        http://www.becomehealthynow.com/supps/cyruta.shtml
        Buckwheat contains rutin, a powerful anti-oxidant
        Buckwheat contains rutin, a phytochemical of the flavonoid group and
        a powerful anti-oxidant, that protects the body against a variety of
        damaging oxidative toxins, especially those released by the body from
        mineral-fiber irritation. By itself, rutin is a more potent free
        radical quencher than either vitamin C or vitamin E. Synergistically,
        the three work together as an even stronger anti-oxidant powerhouse.*

        Emblica officinalis (Indian gooseberry)
        http://www.standardprocess.com/display/VeterinaryCatalog.spi?ID=351
        A strong antioxidant and immune building vitamin.

        I still don't know why they have to put alfalfa in there, and unless
        it's a tiny amount, I don't like that it's in there.

        alfalfa juice
        http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/bpo_ch8a.php
        Alfalfa powder, alfalfa sprouts
        Alfalfa, known also as lucerne (legume), is widely used as a staple
        fodder plant for livestock, and has application in human health as
        tonic, antifungal, laxative, diuretic, detoxifier, digestive,
        nutritive, and anti-arthritic. However, when referencing veterinary
        literature it is listed as a toxic plant for cats. Alfalfa contains
        cyanide producing compounds (cyanogenic glycosides) which will only
        be destroyed by adequate cooking. In humans, these toxic substances
        are detoxified by the liver when ingested in small quantities, but in
        the much smaller cat alfalfa frequently cause vomiting, abdominal
        pain and/or diarrhea. Raw plant matter of any kind, including alfalfa
        sprouts and alfalfa powder, will lead to severe indigestion in the
        cat, who is not equipped to properly digest raw plant matter as a
        carnivore.

        Alone the fact that alfalfa alkalizes the body makes it a dangerous
        substance to use in the cat's diet. Cats depend on a slightly acidic
        acid-base balance; a high body pH - as induced with the use of
        alfalfa - will put the cat at greater risk of developing urinary
        crystals.

        We all know that kelp, which contains iodine, isn't good for cats,
        since iodine stimulates the thyroid and that's not good for
        hyperthyroid cats or any cats for that matter.

        Kelp

        The rest of these ingredients, aren't toxic to cats, but Standard
        Process doesn't really go into why they're in the formulas.

        rice bran
        pea vine juice
        nutritional yeast
        ribonucleic acid
        wheat germ oil
        oat flour

        Their "human" supplement, Cardiotrophin PMG, is just a glandular with
        no added ingredients.

        Cardiotrophin PMG
        http://www.standardprocess.com/display/StandardProcessCatalog.spi?
        ID=33
        Each tablet supplies 120 mg bovine heart PMG™ extract.
        Proprietary Blend: 185 mg
        Bovine heart PMG™ extract and magnesium citrate.
        Other Ingredients: Calcium lactate, cellulose, and calcium stearate.

        I've tried to contact Standard Process in the past and they've not
        been very forthcoming as to their reasons why they insist on putting
        alfalfa and kelp in their formulas. They're in just about all of
        them too.

        I think I'd probably stick to a straight glandular. If you Google the
        words - heart glandular - you'll come up with a lot of sites that
        have other glandulars besides Standard Process.

        If anyone else knows more about any of these SP ingredients, please
        chime in.

        Hope this helps.

        Carol and Snowball and the gang
      • Carol
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
          Figures there'd be one link that didn't go in right. Here's the link
          to the Cardiotrophin. http://tinyurl.com/3d5645

          Carol and Snowball and the gang
        • Pat
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009