Re:Should I start Pita on cardiostrength?

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
      hi Faye,

      Here's the list of ingredients from the Vetri-Science website.

      Active Ingredients Per Capsule:
      L-Carnitine HCl.............................250 mg
      L-Taurine...................................250 mg
      N,N-Dimethylglycine .........................50 mg
      d-alpha Tocopheryl Succinate (Vitamin E).....30 IU
      Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) Powder Blend ....25 mg
      Coenzyme Q10.................................20 mg
      Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA) Powder Blend .....10 mg
      Folic Acid .................................0.9 mg
      Magnesium (as Magnesium Citrate/Malate).....0.5 mg
      Potassium (as Potassium Citrate/Malate) ....0.1 mg
      Selenium (as Sodium Selenite .............0.007 mg

      As far as I can tell, there's nothing in there that's bad. The EPA
      and GLA are just essential fatty acids, like you find in oils (fish
      oil, etc.). Magnesium, Potassium and Selenium are all minerals that
      help support healthy heart function. In large amounts, yes,
      selenium can be toxic, but not in the concentrations that are in the
      CardioStrength. Folic acid is in there to help lower homocysteine
      levels. It's thought that excess homocysteine increases the risk of
      heart disease and clots. Here's an article about that.
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/11/061128093258.htm

      Hope this helps.

      Carol and Snowball and the gang

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Elegantzebra"
      <elegantzebra@...> wrote:

      > I would like to hear more from you guys on Cardiostrength?? There
      are a few ingredients in it that are toxic to cats.
    • jintzr
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 5, 2009
        I use the cardiostrength one day, and then a non-synthetic CoQ10 the
        next. So I rotate. I read that CoQ10 is more effective when it's
        the non-synthetic version, which is more costly. But I really like
        the ingredients in Cardiostrength. So I give her that one day, and
        then the non-syntetic CoQ10 the next day, along with DMG. I also
        bought a separate omega 3 oil to give her on those days, but she
        doesn't like it in her food so still trying to figure that one out.

        Donna & Ivy and angel Ren

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <carolroars@...> wrote:

        > hi Faye,
        >
        > Here's the list of ingredients from the Vetri-Science website.
        >
        > Active Ingredients Per Capsule:
        > L-Carnitine HCl.............................250 mg
        > L-Taurine...................................250 mg
        > N,N-Dimethylglycine .........................50 mg
        > d-alpha Tocopheryl Succinate (Vitamin E).....30 IU
        > Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) Powder Blend ....25 mg
        > Coenzyme Q10.................................20 mg
        > Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA) Powder Blend .....10 mg
        > Folic Acid .................................0.9 mg
        > Magnesium (as Magnesium Citrate/Malate).....0.5 mg
        > Potassium (as Potassium Citrate/Malate) ....0.1 mg
        > Selenium (as Sodium Selenite .............0.007 mg
        >
        > As far as I can tell, there's nothing in there that's bad. The EPA
        > and GLA are just essential fatty acids, like you find in oils (fish
        > oil, etc.). Magnesium, Potassium and Selenium are all minerals
        that
        > help support healthy heart function. In large amounts, yes,
        > selenium can be toxic, but not in the concentrations that are in
        the
        > CardioStrength. Folic acid is in there to help lower homocysteine
        > levels. It's thought that excess homocysteine increases the risk of
        > heart disease and clots. Here's an article about that.
        > http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/11/061128093258.htm
        >
        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > Carol and Snowball and the gang
        >

        > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Elegantzebra"
        > <elegantzebra@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I would like to hear more from you guys on Cardiostrength??
        There
        > are a few ingredients in it that are toxic to cats.

      • Linda J. Lee
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 5, 2009
          How much exercise is safe/recommended for heart kitties? My 13-year-old cat
          Merlin was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy progressing to
          restrictive cardiomyopathy about three weeks ago. How much play do you all
          try to encourage?

          Thanks,

          Linda

        • elfinmyst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2009
            Hi

            I let mine play as often as they like, but I do watch for breathlessness. I
            find cats are excellent at knowing when they have had enough. Mine are young
            cats and play a lot!

            :) Lyn

          • dshale1
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 6, 2009
              The cardiologist told us that with dogs, he'll advise restricting
              vigorous exercise but he doesn't place any restrictions on cats
              because they know their own limits. Sometimes Pye worries us when she
              plays hard but our own vet said if it were his cat, he'd let her enjoy
              herself. That said, I am not so sure that kittens know their own
              limits. Ours sometimes didn't.
              -Susan

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Linda J. Lee" <linda.lee@...> wrote:

              > How much exercise is safe/recommended for heart kitties? My
              13-year-old cat
              > Merlin was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy progressing to
              > restrictive cardiomyopathy about three weeks ago. How much play do
              you all
              > try to encourage?
              >

              > Thanks,
              >
              > Linda

            • Linda Lee
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 6, 2009
                Thanks for the responses about play/exercise. Earlier this week Merlin
                started initiating or responding to rougher play with my 7-year-old cat Nero
                (boxing, chasing, fighting, etc.), for the first time since a few weeks
                prior to his diagnosis. (Is it overly optimistic of me to want to interpret
                this as the meds helping?) Previously, I had been discouraging Nero's
                attempts to instigate play with Merlin (redirecting them to fetch and other
                activities when possible). But I suppose I should let Merlin respond as he
                will according to how he feels. Merlin's the dominant cat in the house, so
                I'm not really concerned that Nero will bully him into responding if he
                doesn't feel up to it.

                Thanks,

                Linda

                _____