Re:Should I start Pita on cardiostrength?

  • Elegantzebra
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
      I would like to hear more from you guys on Cardiostrength?? There are a few ingredients in it that are toxic to cats. I decided not to give it. Can anyone say it helped?
      Thanks,
      Faye

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
        hi Faye,

        Here's the list of ingredients from the Vetri-Science website.

        Active Ingredients Per Capsule:
        L-Carnitine HCl.............................250 mg
        L-Taurine...................................250 mg
        N,N-Dimethylglycine .........................50 mg
        d-alpha Tocopheryl Succinate (Vitamin E).....30 IU
        Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) Powder Blend ....25 mg
        Coenzyme Q10.................................20 mg
        Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA) Powder Blend .....10 mg
        Folic Acid .................................0.9 mg
        Magnesium (as Magnesium Citrate/Malate).....0.5 mg
        Potassium (as Potassium Citrate/Malate) ....0.1 mg
        Selenium (as Sodium Selenite .............0.007 mg

        As far as I can tell, there's nothing in there that's bad. The EPA
        and GLA are just essential fatty acids, like you find in oils (fish
        oil, etc.). Magnesium, Potassium and Selenium are all minerals that
        help support healthy heart function. In large amounts, yes,
        selenium can be toxic, but not in the concentrations that are in the
        CardioStrength. Folic acid is in there to help lower homocysteine
        levels. It's thought that excess homocysteine increases the risk of
        heart disease and clots. Here's an article about that.
        http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/11/061128093258.htm

        Hope this helps.

        Carol and Snowball and the gang

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Elegantzebra"
        <elegantzebra@...> wrote:

        > I would like to hear more from you guys on Cardiostrength?? There
        are a few ingredients in it that are toxic to cats.
      • jintzr
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 5, 2009
          I use the cardiostrength one day, and then a non-synthetic CoQ10 the
          next. So I rotate. I read that CoQ10 is more effective when it's
          the non-synthetic version, which is more costly. But I really like
          the ingredients in Cardiostrength. So I give her that one day, and
          then the non-syntetic CoQ10 the next day, along with DMG. I also
          bought a separate omega 3 oil to give her on those days, but she
          doesn't like it in her food so still trying to figure that one out.

          Donna & Ivy and angel Ren

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <carolroars@...> wrote:

          > hi Faye,
          >
          > Here's the list of ingredients from the Vetri-Science website.
          >
          > Active Ingredients Per Capsule:
          > L-Carnitine HCl.............................250 mg
          > L-Taurine...................................250 mg
          > N,N-Dimethylglycine .........................50 mg
          > d-alpha Tocopheryl Succinate (Vitamin E).....30 IU
          > Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) Powder Blend ....25 mg
          > Coenzyme Q10.................................20 mg
          > Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA) Powder Blend .....10 mg
          > Folic Acid .................................0.9 mg
          > Magnesium (as Magnesium Citrate/Malate).....0.5 mg
          > Potassium (as Potassium Citrate/Malate) ....0.1 mg
          > Selenium (as Sodium Selenite .............0.007 mg
          >
          > As far as I can tell, there's nothing in there that's bad. The EPA
          > and GLA are just essential fatty acids, like you find in oils (fish
          > oil, etc.). Magnesium, Potassium and Selenium are all minerals
          that
          > help support healthy heart function. In large amounts, yes,
          > selenium can be toxic, but not in the concentrations that are in
          the
          > CardioStrength. Folic acid is in there to help lower homocysteine
          > levels. It's thought that excess homocysteine increases the risk of
          > heart disease and clots. Here's an article about that.
          > http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/11/061128093258.htm
          >
          > Hope this helps.
          >
          > Carol and Snowball and the gang
          >

          > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Elegantzebra"
          > <elegantzebra@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I would like to hear more from you guys on Cardiostrength??
          There
          > are a few ingredients in it that are toxic to cats.

        • Linda J. Lee
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 5, 2009
            How much exercise is safe/recommended for heart kitties? My 13-year-old cat
            Merlin was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy progressing to
            restrictive cardiomyopathy about three weeks ago. How much play do you all
            try to encourage?

            Thanks,

            Linda

          • elfinmyst@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 6, 2009
              Hi

              I let mine play as often as they like, but I do watch for breathlessness. I
              find cats are excellent at knowing when they have had enough. Mine are young
              cats and play a lot!

              :) Lyn

            • dshale1
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 6, 2009
                The cardiologist told us that with dogs, he'll advise restricting
                vigorous exercise but he doesn't place any restrictions on cats
                because they know their own limits. Sometimes Pye worries us when she
                plays hard but our own vet said if it were his cat, he'd let her enjoy
                herself. That said, I am not so sure that kittens know their own
                limits. Ours sometimes didn't.
                -Susan

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Linda J. Lee" <linda.lee@...> wrote:

                > How much exercise is safe/recommended for heart kitties? My
                13-year-old cat
                > Merlin was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy progressing to
                > restrictive cardiomyopathy about three weeks ago. How much play do
                you all
                > try to encourage?
                >

                > Thanks,
                >
                > Linda

              • Linda Lee
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 6, 2009
                  Thanks for the responses about play/exercise. Earlier this week Merlin
                  started initiating or responding to rougher play with my 7-year-old cat Nero
                  (boxing, chasing, fighting, etc.), for the first time since a few weeks
                  prior to his diagnosis. (Is it overly optimistic of me to want to interpret
                  this as the meds helping?) Previously, I had been discouraging Nero's
                  attempts to instigate play with Merlin (redirecting them to fetch and other
                  activities when possible). But I suppose I should let Merlin respond as he
                  will according to how he feels. Merlin's the dominant cat in the house, so
                  I'm not really concerned that Nero will bully him into responding if he
                  doesn't feel up to it.

                  Thanks,

                  Linda

                  _____