Afraid to keep giving Prenisolone to Mama - any ideas?

  • onewildpinkrose
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hi All,
      I haven't been posting much because the past five days have been a
      whirlwind of panic. I posted last 2 days before she was at the Vet -
      we took her Monday morning after she had what I think was Syncope. She
      has not been able to walk and is only 3.5lbs. They drew bloods and
      examined her as much as they could. She has a definite heart murmur
      and an arrythmia. She had a heart sonogram last year and this is what
      they knew then. Since then - on Dec 10th she went into Hypurrcat to be
      treated for Hyper-T. I knew in my gut she had that for at least 2
      years but her T4 was testing normal until this month. They refused to
      treat unless the level was high. She was ok @ Hypurrcat - I was told
      she was eating,drinking,peeing and pooping formed stool (she had water
      diarrhea for 2 yrs straight with nothing ever helping NOTHING) When
      she came home after a week she had one solid poop and then began the
      water diarrhea. I gave her Quick relief twice a day for 3 days and she
      suddenly stopped pooping altogether. Then she had that "fainting"
      episode and now we are here in a crisis. The vet said that it is not
      just a "heart" thing or an "IBD" thing... it's everything combined.
      She is severely emaciated. Only 3.5 lbs - she was close to 5lbs when
      she was first brought for the Hyper-T treatment - Dec 10th!!! She lost
      1.5lbs in less than 3 weeks. The vet said that she can "hear" the
      heart enough to tell that is it most likely unchanged and agreed with
      me to start her on Lukeran (chemo) because she is leaning more towards
      Lymphoma than a heart issue. Though she does have that too. The vet
      also prescribed 50ml IV fluids (sub-q's) every day and 5mgs of
      Prenisolone. I am giving her B-12 injections twice a week still and
      started giving 5000mcgs of Methyl-B12 sublingual every day as well. My
      concern here is the steroid. I don't want to give it to her. Does
      anyone know alot about this med and fluids and heart issues? I want to
      stop it altogether but am confused as to why exactly they gave pred
      and chemo together. I know it's for inflammation - I am guessing for
      the Lymphoma diagnosis though I just think she has severe IBD. I would
      rather just have her on the Lukeran and fluids until she is strong
      enough to not need an IV everyday - then I will consider starting the
      Prednisolone again. She has had two doses... do I have to taper her
      off still? Should I give a half tonight and then another half 2 days
      later? Does anyone have any ideas? She is pooping pretty solid though
      she is on a wee wee pad and I clean her. She is not strong enough yet
      to get to the litter box. She pees basically once overnight - She is
      dehydrated and I add a bit of water to her wet food - is she peeing
      enough??? Please help here - I HATE steriods and know the risk of
      CHF!! Thanks for reading my long post and hope to hear some good
      advice! Bless you all and keeping up the prayers for all of us and our
      babies...
      - Trish, Mama and the Boys
    • Pat
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
        Hi Trish;

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
          Prednisolone is preferred over prednisone for cats. Prednisone has
          to be converted by the liver to prednisolone and this conversion for
          cats is not always effective. On the IBD list we have had many
          members have their cats switched from prednisone to prednisolone at
          the advice of the list (because their cats were not doing well), and
          had much better results with prednisolone. I also know of people
          using prednisolone as part of standard chemo protocol.

          http://www.vetcontact.com/dermatology/art.php?a=640&t=&f=18

          Jenny

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Pat" <Pat.Creighton@...> wrote:

          > Hi Trish;

        • Carol
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
            I think the reason Trish, and all of us, are afraid of giving the
            Prednisone or Prednisolone (and other steroids) is because of the
            possibility of it causing fluid retention and CHF. Is one steroid
            less likely to do that than the other? Is the Budesonide less a risk
            with that regard?

            My angel Sweetie was on Prednisolone for IBD (she was also CRF and
            had a heart murmur, not even HCM at that point) and it caused her to
            go into congestive heart failure from the fluid retention. Ever
            since she was never the same again and once she had that first bout
            of CHF, it was so hard to balance that with her CRF treatments.
            Because of that, I'm afraid to ever give it to my guys again, and our
            vet wants me to give it to Snowball for her IBD, but because of her
            heart issues, I'm not going that route again.

            Is there anything else Trish can use for Mama for the lymphoma
            treatment protocol that any of you know of, that doesn't have the
            effect of the fluid retention issues?

            hugs,
            Carol and Snowball and the gang

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "gllhmjnny" <tjgillham@...>
            wrote:

            > Prednisolone is preferred over prednisone for cats. Prednisone has
            > to be converted by the liver to prednisolone and this conversion
            for
            > cats is not always effective.
          • Elegantzebra
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
              Personally, if it were my cat I would stop the Pred - it does nothing to help, just covers up symptoms. My cat is highly allergic to it and gets very sick with it - since 7 years ago. I refuse to give steroids. If you decide not give her - stop it slowly - not all at once, cut down over maybe 3 days or so. If you just started it, it may be OK to just stop. JMO

              While I'm here, I would like to question - why is that we all have to join here on a group to help get our kitties well. Don't we pay vets to know what they are doing. I have had to research everything on my cats, vets couldn't even diagnose my Aby with Pemphigus - I had to do it online. I have the same problems with all vets, none of them "know" what they are doing, they are "experimenting" on our beloved cats. Why do we have to ask them "don't you think this or this should be given?" and they say yes, that's a good idea. Why didn't the have the good idea, they are the vet. Everything a vet tells me I look it up online. I talked to at least 8 vets regarding my exotic with congenital heart problems - no same answers - all guesses!! We should not have to learn to be a vet online to treat our animals (horses as well, no vet can tell me what's wrong with my mare's chronic diarrhea). What are we paying them for anyway. We can just come here, talk to each other, "tell" the vet here's what I need, etc., etc. OK, end of rant.
              Faye

            • Carol
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                Boy Faye... I could have written this myself! After so many years
                of my animals being sick and ME being the one to practically
                diagnose and find treatments for them, I've become so untrusting of
                anything my vet says. Over the years I've gone to just about every
                vet in my area and even driven way out of it and still I always feel
                like I'm left with this empty pit in my stomach about them.

                I had one vet years ago who I just loved. She would go out of her
                way to look things up for me if I had questions she couldn't answer.
                I do a lot of holistic stuff with my guys, and she never poo-pood
                any of it, but rather she diligently wrote everything down in my
                guys' records that I was doing and on her own time she would look up
                what those things were. She left her practice to have a family, and
                we thought she'd be back after her kids were older, but it's been 7
                years and she's still not practicing anymore. We miss her!

                Since then I've shuffled back and forth from vet to vet and am
                always disappointed. Our current vet, and keep in mind this is
                the "best" one we've found so far, botched the euthanasia of one of
                my kitties in 2006. I swore I'd never use him again, but when the
                time comes and I have to take one of the guys to the vet, I just
                can't bear the thought of trying to get a relationship going with
                another new one. Then this past June Snowball had a horrible
                seizure caused from a combination of drugs he gave her. Again, I
                wanted to run and never go back, but with Snowball in the stages
                she's in with her health, I hesitate to try to take her somewhere
                else and start over again. So now, I just make sure that I'm the
                one who does all the research for EVERYTHING for them first,
                especially Snowball, before I take her in to see him for anything.
                I figure all I have my vet for is it's a place where I can get her
                labs done, and any other kind of figuring out her health problems
                and what kind of care she needs is up to me. :-(

                I keep hoping one day to have a vet that I can rely on. I really do
                envy those folks who have these great vets they talk about. If I
                ever moved, the number one thing on my list for where I'd be willing
                to live is if there was a good vet there!

                Okay..end of my rant now!

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                  My sincere apologies - the product I was refereing to is Standard Process
                  Feline Cardiac Support:
                  The toxic ingredients are alfalfa, kelp. I also question several other
                  ingredients. The product by Veri Science is OK.
                  Here is the list of the SP product:

                  Supplement Facts
                  Ingredients: Bovine orchic CytosolT extract, bovine adrenal, bovine heart
                  PMGT extract, bovine liver, Tillandsia usneoides, alfalfa juice, bovine and
                  ovine spleen, L-carnitine, bovine heart CytosolT extract, buckwheat leaf
                  juice and seed, bovine kidney, Emblica officinalis, rice bran, pea vine
                  juice, nutritional yeast, Crataegus oxyacantha, ribonucleic acid, kelp,
                  bovine adrenal CytosolT extract, wheat germ oil, oat flour, and bone meal.

                  Sorry, I was in a hurry and got the two names confused.

                  Faye

                • Carol
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                    I looked up all the ingredients as much as I could find and here's
                    some info. Personally, I don't like this supplement... too many
                    ingredients and no explanation as to why they're in there. They make
                    a plain glandular in their "human" line called Cardiotrophin PMG,
                    which is just Bovine heart. I might use that one instead.

                    This is what Standard Process says about it's ingredients:

                    http://www.standardprocess.com/display/VeterinaryCatalog.spi?ID=346
                    Unique Product Attributes: The ingredients in Feline Cardiac Support
                    work together to promote the healthy functioning of the feline heart.

                    Rice bran, pea vine, buckwheat, and alfalfa juice:
                    -Whole vitamin complexes and chelated minerals complement and enhance
                    the beneficial effects of the tissue factors
                    -Whole food based vitamin E complex offers strong antioxidant
                    protection

                    Bovine heart, liver, and kidney; and bovine and ovine spleen:
                    -Support corresponding tissues in the feline

                    Heart Protomorphogen™ extracts; and heart and adrenal Cytosol™
                    extracts:
                    Standard Process' unique glandular extracts
                    -Support the internal nutritional environment and help maintain
                    normal myocardial cell function

                    Emblica officinalis (Indian gooseberry) and Crataegus oxyacantha
                    (Hawthorn):
                    -Support heart health at the cellular level

                    So, all of these ingredients I'm assuming are the glandulars.

                    Bovine orchic CytosolT extract,
                    bovine adrenal,
                    bovine heart PMGT extract,
                    bovine liver,
                    bovine and ovine spleen,
                    bovine heart CytosolT extract,
                    bovine kidney,
                    bovine adrenal CytosolT extract,

                    Then there's the L-carnitine, hawthorn extract and bone meal.

                    L-carnitine
                    Crataegus oxyacantha (hawthorn)
                    bone meal

                    It looks like the Spanish moss, buckwheat and Indian gooseberry are
                    safe for cats from what I found. The Spanish moss possibly is in
                    there for it's blood glucose properties, which I'm not sure how that
                    relates to heart kitties. The buckwheat is in there because it
                    contains Rutin. The Indian gooseberry for it's antioxidant
                    properties.

                    Tillandsia usneoides (Spanish moss)
                    http://www.wildflower.org/expert/show.php?id=653
                    extracts of Spanish Moss (Tillandsia usneoides), a non-parasitic
                    epiphyte in the pineapple family, have been found in a few studies to
                    reduce blood glucose in laboratory animals. The compound primarily
                    responsible is called HMG, short for 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaric acid.
                    HMG is now featured as an ingredient in a few herbal diabetic
                    supplements.

                    buckwheat leaf juice and seed
                    http://www.becomehealthynow.com/supps/cyruta.shtml
                    Buckwheat contains rutin, a powerful anti-oxidant
                    Buckwheat contains rutin, a phytochemical of the flavonoid group and
                    a powerful anti-oxidant, that protects the body against a variety of
                    damaging oxidative toxins, especially those released by the body from
                    mineral-fiber irritation. By itself, rutin is a more potent free
                    radical quencher than either vitamin C or vitamin E. Synergistically,
                    the three work together as an even stronger anti-oxidant powerhouse.*

                    Emblica officinalis (Indian gooseberry)
                    http://www.standardprocess.com/display/VeterinaryCatalog.spi?ID=351
                    A strong antioxidant and immune building vitamin.

                    I still don't know why they have to put alfalfa in there, and unless
                    it's a tiny amount, I don't like that it's in there.

                    alfalfa juice
                    http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/bpo_ch8a.php
                    Alfalfa powder, alfalfa sprouts
                    Alfalfa, known also as lucerne (legume), is widely used as a staple
                    fodder plant for livestock, and has application in human health as
                    tonic, antifungal, laxative, diuretic, detoxifier, digestive,
                    nutritive, and anti-arthritic. However, when referencing veterinary
                    literature it is listed as a toxic plant for cats. Alfalfa contains
                    cyanide producing compounds (cyanogenic glycosides) which will only
                    be destroyed by adequate cooking. In humans, these toxic substances
                    are detoxified by the liver when ingested in small quantities, but in
                    the much smaller cat alfalfa frequently cause vomiting, abdominal
                    pain and/or diarrhea. Raw plant matter of any kind, including alfalfa
                    sprouts and alfalfa powder, will lead to severe indigestion in the
                    cat, who is not equipped to properly digest raw plant matter as a
                    carnivore.

                    Alone the fact that alfalfa alkalizes the body makes it a dangerous
                    substance to use in the cat's diet. Cats depend on a slightly acidic
                    acid-base balance; a high body pH - as induced with the use of
                    alfalfa - will put the cat at greater risk of developing urinary
                    crystals.

                    We all know that kelp, which contains iodine, isn't good for cats,
                    since iodine stimulates the thyroid and that's not good for
                    hyperthyroid cats or any cats for that matter.

                    Kelp

                    The rest of these ingredients, aren't toxic to cats, but Standard
                    Process doesn't really go into why they're in the formulas.

                    rice bran
                    pea vine juice
                    nutritional yeast
                    ribonucleic acid
                    wheat germ oil
                    oat flour

                    Their "human" supplement, Cardiotrophin PMG, is just a glandular with
                    no added ingredients.

                    Cardiotrophin PMG
                    http://www.standardprocess.com/display/StandardProcessCatalog.spi?
                    ID=33
                    Each tablet supplies 120 mg bovine heart PMG™ extract.
                    Proprietary Blend: 185 mg
                    Bovine heart PMG™ extract and magnesium citrate.
                    Other Ingredients: Calcium lactate, cellulose, and calcium stearate.

                    I've tried to contact Standard Process in the past and they've not
                    been very forthcoming as to their reasons why they insist on putting
                    alfalfa and kelp in their formulas. They're in just about all of
                    them too.

                    I think I'd probably stick to a straight glandular. If you Google the
                    words - heart glandular - you'll come up with a lot of sites that
                    have other glandulars besides Standard Process.

                    If anyone else knows more about any of these SP ingredients, please
                    chime in.

                    Hope this helps.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                      Figures there'd be one link that didn't go in right. Here's the link
                      to the Cardiotrophin. http://tinyurl.com/3d5645

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                        Hi Faye;