Re:New Member

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 117 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hello Jaime and Maia

      I`m sorry to hear Maia is unwell. If she is coughing she may have fluid on
      the lungs and need something to help that which will also make her feel better.
      Lasix and spiro are common.

      Has Maia had an ultrasound? If not, then I highly recommend one and it will
      see what form of HCM she has and the treatment varies. Also Atenolol in a cat
      with heart failure can be dangerous, so a cardiologist would regularly
      monitor that or use other drugs. Is Maia in heart failure?

      I`m sorry if I am giving you advice you already know as you're a vet.. I`m
      just speaking from my own experience with a lot of cats with heart problems and
      the resaerch I have done on the net and advice I have received from the
      wonderful people here.

      I use cardiostrength which is a wonderful supplement to help the heart as
      well.

      It's a friendly group and please ask all your questions. I found there is
      always someone who knows something about various topics of heart disease.

      How old is Maia?

      Lyn :)

    • Elfinmyst
      Message 117 of 117 , Feb 27, 2016
        Hi there

        Was she diagnosed with an ultrasound? If not, I would schedule one with a cardiologist ASAP and see what's going on as the passing the clot is definitely not normal either. Heart failure can be caused by several things, and HCM can be secondary to anaemia for example. Did she get blood tests? Please can you tell us a bit more about which tests she had and what the resutls showed so hopefully you can get some advice.

        My kittens were in heart failure at 12 weeks, it is possible but there are many problems that can cause it, congenital, HCM, shock, anaemia.. I`m sorry I can't give more advice, please can you tell us more.

        Thanks