Re:New Member

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 113 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hello Jaime and Maia

      I`m sorry to hear Maia is unwell. If she is coughing she may have fluid on
      the lungs and need something to help that which will also make her feel better.
      Lasix and spiro are common.

      Has Maia had an ultrasound? If not, then I highly recommend one and it will
      see what form of HCM she has and the treatment varies. Also Atenolol in a cat
      with heart failure can be dangerous, so a cardiologist would regularly
      monitor that or use other drugs. Is Maia in heart failure?

      I`m sorry if I am giving you advice you already know as you're a vet.. I`m
      just speaking from my own experience with a lot of cats with heart problems and
      the resaerch I have done on the net and advice I have received from the
      wonderful people here.

      I use cardiostrength which is a wonderful supplement to help the heart as
      well.

      It's a friendly group and please ask all your questions. I found there is
      always someone who knows something about various topics of heart disease.

      How old is Maia?

      Lyn :)

    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 113 of 113 , Jun 15, 2012
        Hi Dayna

        I am sorry to hear of your poorly boy. There are medications which can help
        and the two which come to mind are ACE inhibitors like fortekor and
        pimobendan (vetmedin in the UK). I would take him for a repeat echo as soon as
        possible to see how much progression his heart disease has and see what
        medications would assist him. A cardiologist would be the best bet for expert
        advice if he hasn't seen one.

        If he has fluid on his lungs, a diuretic can help with that as well.