New member Ruby; old member, Judith

  • goldbe50
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2008
      Hello to all and hope your kitties are doing well and happy holiday
      season. Unfortunately, welcome to Ruby who I adopted at the end of
      June as my Rosalynde needed a new best friend.

      Here are the facts:
      Age: 17 months
      Breed: Fluffball, okay, domestic long hair. Torbie and white.
      Sex: spayed female
      History: found next to a garbage dumpster as a kitten and taken in by
      my Russian Blue breeder to care for and find a home. Probably
      abandoned.
      Other health problems: Severe gingivitis. Had a bad tooth extracted,
      antibiotics, tooth cleaning recently. Much better but only a matter
      of time until some teeth will be extracted. Smearing gums with
      Maxiguard/Orazine.
      Personality: Feisty, one tough kitty. Pill? Even my vet suggested a
      piller. Pill Poppers work fine.

      Heart: She had an echo cardiogram Sunday afternoon.

      Has a very mild heart murmur, mitral valve regurgitation. Only shows
      when agitated which with Ruby doesn't take much. Everything else
      normal. No changes to heart, no HCM. Retest in a year.

      The question is, anything special I should do besides feed her a good
      diet, give vitamins with taurine, and the omegas and vitamin E? And
      take a bit of weight off her.

      Thank you.

      My vet noticed the murmur when he was checking Ruby over before her
      tooth cleaning. Things have changed a bit around here (Israel and
      we're fine). Now there is a traveling echo/US vet so we didn't have
      to go to the vet school hospital.

      Rosalynde also had an echo and thank goodness, it looks like she did
      not inherit her father's HCM gene. Yes, they get along and play
      together.

      Other good news is that their canned allergy food finally returned to
      the market after more than a year absence. I have been doing homemade
      and will continue 50/50. Allergy food and homemade are relatively low
      sodium and very high protein. Taking no chances, I ordered 560 cans.

      Posting picture of Ruby in my file next to angel Nessi. I think my
      file's name if Judith's cat or something like that. Don't let her
      looks fool you, she is no angel.

      Thank you.

      Judith, Ruby, Rosalynde, and of course Portia, world's most allergic
      cat
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2009
        Hi Judith and Ruby.

        Ruby sounds gorgeous! A torbie white longhair is likely to be a pedigree
        background as they are rare in domestics. This increases her chance of a heart
        problem. I have a lot (too many) pedigrees and two have mitral regurgitation.
        It seems to cause them no trouble and hasn't progressed over four years in
        Toby. He has a repeat echo to keep an eye on it.

        We do keep an eye on his weight. He doesn't take supplements apart from
        cystaid for his urinary blocking. Chloe also has mild regurgitation and the
        cardiologist was not concerned. Like your Ruby, it only shows under stress.

        You could give her cardiostrength as a precaution. My symptomatic cats get
        that.

        :) Lyn

      • goldbe50
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
          Ruby thanks you for the compliment. Truth is she's too adorable for
          words. Doubt she has much pedigreed in her as you can find any color
          combination you can dream of out on the streets of Israel. Although
          there is a tendency of one of the more recent groups of immigrants to
          not spay or neuter their cats and insist that they spend some time
          outside. Trying to be diplomatic.

          Thank you so much for the tip on Cardiostrength. I'm heading to the
          States next month and have added it to my shopping list. Hope Ruby
          likes it in her pill poppers as it is going to be difficult to just add
          it to her food with 2 other cats. Will try to get her weight down a bit
          but she is an erratic eater.

          Judith