Re: coenzyme Q study - human

  • nala_zq
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 2008
      I meant to include a few translations for those who are unfamiliar with some of the
      terms/abbrieviations

      systolic/systole - the part of the heart cycle where the heart contracts/pumps
      diastolic/systole - the part of the heart cycle where the heart relaxes
      NYHA - New York Heart Association - heart failure is ranked I-IV:
      Class I: patients with no limitation of activities; they suffer no symptoms from ordinary
      activities.
      Class II: patients with slight, mild limitation of activity; they are comfortable with rest or
      with mild exertion.
      Class III: patients with marked limitation of activity; they are comfortable only at rest.
      Class IV: patients who should be at complete rest, confined to bed or chair; any physical
      activity brings on discomfort and symptoms occur at rest.
      MR = mitral valve regurgitation

      > It is well known that by improving mitochondrial bioenergetics, Coenzyme Q_{10}
      improves the systolic function in heart failure. The aim of this study was to see whether it
      benefits the diastolic dysfunction in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) cases since
      diastolic relaxation also requires energy like the systole. 200~mg/day of CoQ_{10} was
      added to the conventional treatment in 46 patients with HCM diagnosed clinically and by
      echocardiography and by excluding cases of long standing hypertension. A comparable
      group of 41 age/sex matched cases received only conventional therapy. There was a
      significant improvement in the parameters like NYHA class >/= 1, in quality of life (QOL)
      on 6 minutes walk test, in diastolic dysfunction by >/= 1 parameter and in MR >/= 1
      grade. Post treatment echocardiogram showed significant reduction in left ventricular
      outflow tract (LVOT) gradient >/= 15 mm Hg in obstructive cases (12 out of 46) in the
      treatment group. The
      > mean interventricular septal thickness (IVS) showed a 22.4% reduction (p < 0.005). The
      mean posterior wall thickness showed a 23.1% reduction (p < 0.005). No patient in the
      treatment Group had ventricular tachycardia (VT) whereas 4 cases in the control group had
      VT. In both groups 1 patient was lost due to sudden cardiac death (SCD).