Re: Need Some Help Here

  • nala_zq
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2008

      > I have a Persian cat "Chanel" it is now about 1 year old I heard a
      > high heart murmurs so I took her for an ultrasound test for her heart
      > and it has a Moderate case of HCM , the VET asked me to give her
      > Atenolol for twenty days and to bring her back after 20 days to
      > recheck again .

      As someone already mentioned, atenolol is a beta-blocker and will
      slow down Chanel's heart rate. She may be tired for the first few days.
      Usually the veterinarian will start the cat at a low dose and then
      increase the dose slowly over the course of a few weeks. Some cats
      who take atenolol will also have a reduction in the loudness of
      their heart murmur.

      > From your experience I want to know what The doctor will do after the
      > 20 days are passed and do I need to give her medicine for the rest of
      > her life and is there is a risk that I will be in a situation were I
      > have to take the decision to put her to sleep.

      I agree with the other person who mentioned that the vet wants to
      check Chanel again to determine whether or not the medicine is
      slowing down Chanel's heart rate and the loudness of the murmur.

      It is likely that with HCM that Chanel will need to take medicine for
      the rest of her life. As for whether or not you will be in a situation
      to have to decide whether or not to put her to sleep, most people
      who have pets will need to make this decision whether the animal has
      heart disease or not. I don't think you need to worry about making
      this decision right now. Many HCM kitties do well for years, although
      not all are so lucky.

      Best to you both,

      Nala