Winstrol?

  • lkshaw@msn.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 27, 2001
      Jazz has been to UC Davis, and unfortunately, it's not a good
      situation. The left side of her heart is defective, and probably has
      been since birth. There is nothing specific that they can tell us,
      because this defect is specific to Jazz, not something that is found
      in cats in general.

      They have warned us about heart failure, blood clots, and that
      basically, there is a chance that she might just die without any
      prior symptoms. I'm glad we went though, because at least now I know
      that we are doing everything possible.

      We have been prescribed enalapril to minimize the scar tissue build
      up, and we will be doing a follow up appointment in 3 months. The
      cardiologist basically told us we could use asprin to minimize blood
      clots if we want to... But she wasn't too positive about it.

      I've heard about winstrol for people helping blood clots. I looked
      through the archives, but there isn't much on it. Does anyone have
      experience with this medication used in cats?

      --Kirsten
    • Anyes Moscrip
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 27, 2001
        lkshaw@... wrote

        > I've heard about winstrol for people helping blood clots. I looked
        > through the archives, but there isn't much on it. Does anyone have
        > experience with this medication used in cats?
        >
        > --Kirsten

        I would be careful with Winstrol and heart disease. I don't know about the
        clotting factor, but winstrol is not good for the heart in general. I have
        used it successfully with my kitty for her kidney failure, but she also had
        heart failure and I did worry about that, although we did not have much
        choice. The benefits were tremendous on the short term side.

        For clotting, you could try vit E which is known to help prevent blood
        clots, as well as other antioxydants like selenium and vit C. Some vets also
        prescribe baby aspirin although it is not proven to help cats like it does
        humans. There is no research at the moment.

        I hope this helps,
        Anyes and the girls
      • Sandler, Zellene E.
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 28, 2001
          Meant to reply to this earlier. If I recall correctly, Winstrol is an
          anabolic steroid. We used it long ago with Boing-boing when his kidney
          disease worsened. They use it to build up muscle mass and counteract the
          wasting that happens in renal failure. I'm sorry I don't know much more than
          that and I don't know about its effect on clots. A good place to ask this
          question might be on one of the feline CRF lists.

          Vitamin E is an anti-coagulant and you might want to supplement with this. I
          know someone here is using 400 IU daily, though I don't use that much since
          it is not water soluable. I use about 35-40 IU daily. I got a liquid form
          and put a couple of drops into the supplement combo I give my girl. Vitamin
          e is also used to prevent scarring after injuries or surgery.

        • anabellecat
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6, 2003
            My vet gave me Winstrol for Taj. I know that it's supposed to help
            with anemia, appetite, and general quality of life, but I'm so
            nervous to give him anything new. Has anyone had experience with this
            medication????