Re: [FH] Ok, so how about this?

  • Sue B
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6 1:34 PM
      Catherine,

      If that's how the vets function there, then it's worth a try. It's sad that
      you need to do it this way.

      The dosage goes by the cat's weight. When my Pepper first started on lasix,
      she was around 18 pounds (39.6kg) and got a daily dose of 12.5mg of lasix.
      Some cats have been given half that dose, but then Pepper was a very big
      girl.

      Remember that lasix remains in the system for about 6 hours so if the dose
      they give you isn't working, it may be more effective to split it and give
      it more often.

      As for the asthma - the primary diagnostic tool is an x-ray. If the cat has
      asthma, the x-ray will normally show small circles. Occasionally, they
      don't show, so the vet would try giving a dose of steroids. BUT - he should
      have thought a bit more before giving it to a cat with heart disease since
      it could cause problems.

      Sue & angels Pepper & Gandy
      with Nicholai, Lola-Joy and Isabella

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6 1:56 PM
        Oops - bad math! That should be 8kg - not 39!!!

        Sue

        > If that's how the vets function there, then it's worth a try. It's sad
        > that
        > you need to do it this way.
        >
        > The dosage goes by the cat's weight. When my Pepper first started on
        > lasix,
        > she was around 18 pounds (39.6kg) and got a daily dose of 12.5mg of lasix.
        > Some cats have been given half that dose, but then Pepper was a very big
        > girl.
        >
        > Remember that lasix remains in the system for about 6 hours so if the dose
        > they give you isn't working, it may be more effective to split it and give
        > it more often.
        >
        > As for the asthma - the primary diagnostic tool is an x-ray. If the cat
        > has
        > asthma, the x-ray will normally show small circles. Occasionally, they
        > don't show, so the vet would try giving a dose of steroids. BUT - he
        > should
        > have thought a bit more before giving it to a cat with heart disease since
        > it could cause problems.
        >

        > Sue & angels Pepper & Gandy
        > with Nicholai, Lola-Joy and Isabella

      • Catherine Browning
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6 2:01 PM
          Yep, I did the maths myself - thought 39 sounded high (small puma
          perhaps?)!