Re: [FH] Newbie!

  • Don
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 3, 2008
      Again, the brand does not matter as much as limiting the fillers.
      Check the ingredient list and pick one that has the least.
      Don & Milo

    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 4, 2008
        Hi Emily

        I`m also in the UK. I`m sorry to hear about Master Yoda (I love the name!!)

        It sounds as if Yoda is on the right drugs for a start. I found it took
        about 4 days for the Fortekor to make a difference to energy levels, and the
        Frucimide usually works quickly. Yoda is on quite a low dose, so may need more at
        first to decrease the fluid, but your vet can advise you on that. There is
        also a second diuretic called spironolactone which can increase the efficiency
        of the Frucimide. My HCM cats have both, but you have to monitor kidney
        levels.

        If he still seems wheezy, a vet trip is in order as it sometimes takes a
        little whilse to get the right doses of drugs.

        Supplements.. I can help with this one. Cardio-S is a supplement for cats
        which contains Co Q, Taurine and Carnitine. It is available on prescription only
        from the vet and costs about £25 for a bottle of 60. It's made by
        Vetriscience and they have a phone number.

        01691 610818

        Your vet needs to order them for you. Alternatively you can import them from
        America which costs about the same with postage. Do a websearch for
        cardiostrength as it is called there. It doesn't need a prescription from the states.

        Let us know how you go on, and please ask all your questions.

        Lyn :)

      • Elegantzebra
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 4, 2008
          Regarding Taurine and CO Q10, 30mg - you can get them at www.iherb.com
          Buy Now Brand Taurine 500mg - powder capsules - has no taste or smell, you can put it right on their food - open capsule. Same with CoQ10, Twin Labs 30mg, 100 capsules, no taste or smell, just open capsule and put it their food.

          I have a question too - has anyone used Chinese herbs on their cats with heart issues?