RE: [FH] Taurine for SweetPete

  • Gina Fayne
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
      The reason that the additional taurine was suggested for Pete is that he is on Kitten food.
      Kittens do not require as much taurine as adult cats, but because of the cachexia, Pete is literally starving to death in the midst of an unending food supply.  He needs the extra protein and fat found in that formulation. If Max is on a well balanced adult food, he is probably getting the correct amount of taurine.
      Gina

      Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 15:20:14 -0500
      From: susan4@...
      To: casaobelisco@...
      CC: smudgepooka@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

       I HATE when they take the cat away to do the tests, first of all my cats are terrified at the vet and no one is as careful with them as I am, and second of all these tests cost a bloody fortunate why cant I watch?  I always thought it was just me....

      On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Judi Levens <casaobelisco@...> wrote:

      Boy, I just have to say that I am not getting anything like this kind of detailed info from the vets here in No California...is anyone else? I am having to PULL for info based on what I hear here, and when I get it the approach is very cautious and scientific (eg. no proof of supplements working...and when I mention the success stories here, the snide smile.) I don't know if this is just a cautious area or what. We also are not allowed into the room when the echos are given, or into an emergency treatment areas...they have small consultation rooms between the waiting areas and the real clinical area where they meet with you and your cat, and then they take the cat away for whatever's needed.
      I sort of feel like I am on my own in many ways, just using the doctors for the technical info (and not entirely happy with the treatment suggestions either, eg. taking my cat off of medicine for 4 months and then "discovering" that his heart disease was back in a major way and he had to go back onto his original perscriptions.) I am talking about a very respected teaching institution here (cardiologist)...as well as a local emergency care facility which is locally respected and has an IM...I won't even mention the general vet.
      I just had to ask what others think about the involvement/care they're getting in general...thanks for letting me vent!
      Judi and Max

      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.comFrom: smudgepooka@...: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 20:00:30 +0000Subject: [FH] Taurine for SweetPete

      I just spoke with a doctor at Royal Canin about SweetPete's diet. The only suggestion she had was to add a taurine supplement. The food that they make that would have enough taurine in it is a canned food and, unfortunately, Pete will only eat kibble. Can you give me the name of a brand that makes either a gel or a pill form., I have found many powders, but getting that into him would be too stressful for everyone involved. The food that he is currently eating has 492 mg/1000 cal. The doctor feels that he needs 650mg/1000 cals.Thanks for any help you can give me,.Gina

    • Judi Levens
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
        Thanks Gina; I didn't realize that the vet was with the cat food manufacturer...that does make a difference. Sounds like everyone's in the same boat. I get worried because we are about to head off to Mexico for 6 months a year (this is our life, not an option) with Max, and the care there is very spotty (no oxygen in the area for example), so about now I am trying to think of anything that could happen and have something with me to react with. Actually Max breezed through the plane trips and the winter last year, so maybe we'll be lucky again this year. When I see what I have to deal with there, I am very happy for my skeptical vet here! I guess we should keep that in mind...it could be a lot worse (there is no emergency care in Mexico either...at least in the greater Puerto Vallarta area.)
        Judi and Max

        Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 14:16:42 -0800From: smudgepooka@...: RE: [FH] Taurine for SweetPeteTo: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com; casaobelisco@...

        Hi Judy, You have to remember that this was a veterinarian from Royal Canin Food. These are the people who add the supplements in the first place. I must say I was impressed, first by the fact that they got back to me at all, second that it was a personal phone call not a boilerplate e-mail and third that the doctor I spoke to sounded really interested because Pete has cachexia (rather rare in cats) and a hearty appetite (rare with HCM). This doctor has specialize in nutrition so her being able to give such exact recommendations is not surprising. She did preface our discussion by saying to run everything by Pete' cardiologist.

        Our doctors here in MI are just as skeptical as the ones you are running into, It is my good fortune that the ones we are seeing are not snide about. But they both do say that there is no clinical proof that any of this stuff will work on cats. Pete's doctor contends that there is very little proof that most of it works on people. He goes so far as to say that even the traditional medicine (atenolol, enalapril, etc.) have never actually been proven to work on cats. When you are dealing with true, primary, inherited HCM there is nothing we can do and that the goal of treatment is to keep the patient as comfortable as possible for as long as possible.. With that in mind, he told me that as long as supplement was safe, go ahead and try it. It is a better option than giving up and falling into hopelessness.

        I did ask to go into the treatment room this last time and was told to wait and see if Pete needed me or if that wonderful little magic Valium did the job. The doctors seem to feel that if the animal is going to feel discomfort or fear, they would rather the resentment be directed at them rather than at the "parent". This time Pete was so relaxed that I doubt if he even knew that blood was drawn. When they brought him back to me, he was one very happy little 1960s stoned hippy cool cat. So I don;t think our experiences are to very different. I am just lucky that I have doctors that don't laugh...at least not to my face.
        From: Judi Levens <casaobelisco@...>Subject: RE: [FH] Taurine for SweetPeteTo: smudgepooka@..., feline-heart@yahoogroups.comDate: Monday, November 3, 2008, 3:15 PM

        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.comFrom: smudgepooka@...: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 20:00:30 +0000Subject: [FH] Taurine for SweetPete

        I just spoke with a doctor at Royal Canin about SweetPete's diet. The only suggestion she had was to add a taurine supplement. The food that they make that would have enough taurine in it is a canned food and, unfortunately, Pete will only eat kibble. Can you give me the name of a brand that makes either a gel or a pill form., I have found many powders, but getting that into him would be too stressful for everyone involved. The food that he is currently eating has 492 mg/1000 cal. The doctor feels that he needs 650mg/1000 cals.Thanks for any help you can give me,.Gina

      • Sharyl
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2008
          Gina, I give mine Taurine Tablets made by PetAg.  They are 250 mg/tablet.  I bought mine online here.
          http://www.thrivingpets.com/products/item-detail.php?formStockId=283N1100
          I cut them up into small pieces, crush them and add to Pequita's canned food.  Sissy thinks they are a special treat and begs for pieces when I am cutting them up.
          Perhaps your vet carries something.  If not I'm sure several  online pet places would carry them.
          Sharyl Pequita and Angel Albert