Newbie!

  • cutandpastemag
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 3, 2008
      It's depressing that I have to join this group under sad circumstances
      especially as it is evident you are all wonderful people. My 7 year
      old cat 'Master Yoda' (wicked name I know) has recently been diagnosed
      with HCM. It only becamse apparent to us that he suffered from this
      disease after he had a blood clot in his rear legs. Luckily, one day
      after the said clot, he recovered from it and is now fully able to use
      his legs. I give him a quarter tab of aspirin every three days (as
      prescribed by my vet) to prevent any further thrombi.

      After an ultrasound, it has transpired that he has an enlarged heart
      and a distended left atrium. I have been also giving him diuretics in
      the form of frusemide as he has fluid buildup in his lungs and
      abdomen. I administer a 1/4 tab of this drug twice a day and I have
      been doing so for the last 4 days. He sometimes wheezes and sighs
      still and I was wondering, how long does the drug need, to come into
      effect and to remove all of the fluid build up in his body? In
      addition, I give my cat a tab of Fortekor every day to improve his
      heart muscle - I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this
      drug and its level of effectiveness.

      My last but probably not final query is, where can I purchase hawthorn
      and coenzymeq10 and taurine(worth a shot) which is suitable for a cat
      to consume? I had a peek on ebay but I don't know if it would be okay
      to give my cat supplements which are only intended for humans. If
      anyone can direct me to a place on the internet where I can purchase
      these supplements, I will be extremely grateful. Please keep in mind
      that I live in the UK but i have no qualms about importing these
      supplements from the USA.

      Thank you so much for reading and helping me out during this tough time.

      Regards,
      Emily
    • Don
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 3, 2008
        Hi Emily,
        Our boy Milo was diagnosed with moderate HCM about 7 months ago and I
        have had him on CoQ10 ever since. I bought mine at the local
        pharmacy. The human brands are fine, just try and limit the number of
        additives. I got the 100 mg caplets, then open them and put about
        10-30 mg on his food every day.
        Don & Milo

        On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 4:04 PM, cutandpastemag <Emifinch@...> wrote:
        > It's depressing that I have to join this group under sad circumstances
        > especially as it is evident you are all wonderful people. My 7 year
        > old cat 'Master Yoda' (wicked name I know) has recently been diagnosed
        > with HCM. It only becamse apparent to us that he suffered from this
        > disease after he had a blood clot in his rear legs. Luckily, one day
        > after the said clot, he recovered from it and is now fully able to use
        > his legs. I give him a quarter tab of aspirin every three days (as
        > prescribed by my vet) to prevent any further thrombi.
        >
        > After an ultrasound, it has transpired that he has an enlarged heart
        > and a distended left atrium. I have been also giving him diuretics in
        > the form of frusemide as he has fluid buildup in his lungs and
        > abdomen. I administer a 1/4 tab of this drug twice a day and I have
        > been doing so for the last 4 days. He sometimes wheezes and sighs
        > still and I was wondering, how long does the drug need, to come into
        > effect and to remove all of the fluid build up in his body? In
        > addition, I give my cat a tab of Fortekor every day to improve his
        > heart muscle - I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this
        > drug and its level of effectiveness.
        >
        > My last but probably not final query is, where can I purchase hawthorn
        > and coenzymeq10 and taurine(worth a shot) which is suitable for a cat
        > to consume? I had a peek on ebay but I don't know if it would be okay
        > to give my cat supplements which are only intended for humans. If
        > anyone can direct me to a place on the internet where I can purchase
        > these supplements, I will be extremely grateful. Please keep in mind
        > that I live in the UK but i have no qualms about importing these
        > supplements from the USA.
        >
        > Thank you so much for reading and helping me out during this tough time.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Emily

      • Don
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 3, 2008
          Again, the brand does not matter as much as limiting the fillers.
          Check the ingredient list and pick one that has the least.
          Don & Milo

        • elfinmyst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 4, 2008
            Hi Emily

            I`m also in the UK. I`m sorry to hear about Master Yoda (I love the name!!)

            It sounds as if Yoda is on the right drugs for a start. I found it took
            about 4 days for the Fortekor to make a difference to energy levels, and the
            Frucimide usually works quickly. Yoda is on quite a low dose, so may need more at
            first to decrease the fluid, but your vet can advise you on that. There is
            also a second diuretic called spironolactone which can increase the efficiency
            of the Frucimide. My HCM cats have both, but you have to monitor kidney
            levels.

            If he still seems wheezy, a vet trip is in order as it sometimes takes a
            little whilse to get the right doses of drugs.

            Supplements.. I can help with this one. Cardio-S is a supplement for cats
            which contains Co Q, Taurine and Carnitine. It is available on prescription only
            from the vet and costs about £25 for a bottle of 60. It's made by
            Vetriscience and they have a phone number.

            01691 610818

            Your vet needs to order them for you. Alternatively you can import them from
            America which costs about the same with postage. Do a websearch for
            cardiostrength as it is called there. It doesn't need a prescription from the states.

            Let us know how you go on, and please ask all your questions.

            Lyn :)

          • Elegantzebra
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 4, 2008
              Regarding Taurine and CO Q10, 30mg - you can get them at www.iherb.com
              Buy Now Brand Taurine 500mg - powder capsules - has no taste or smell, you can put it right on their food - open capsule. Same with CoQ10, Twin Labs 30mg, 100 capsules, no taste or smell, just open capsule and put it their food.

              I have a question too - has anyone used Chinese herbs on their cats with heart issues?