Re: [FH] Sam not doing too well today

  • Astrid Smits
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
      Lorraine wrote:
      I understand that the lasix only last for about 6 hrs, so maybe more
      frequent doses w/ help him out of this, If Sam appetite has gone off, if you
      can get him to eat Science Diet A/D, this is for short term but they seem to
      like it. Your vet can prescribe this,, keep us posted.

      As you might've read in my introduction mail, my Cléo didn't want to eat
      either. When giving her A/D last Thursday and over the weekend, she directly
      went for it, and even w/out the force feeding, ate her meal w/out a problem.
      I'd definitely give A/D a try.

      As for the lasix, it might even work shorter than six hours. Cléo was
      prescribed furosoral, which I understood is the same as lasix. When we saw
      our vet a week ago in the weekend, he told us it works for two hours.

      You might want to check this w/your vet though, since I'm not familiar yet
      w/all the meds involved and the differences.

      Astrid
    • snusheesam
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2008
        Hi all, thanks for your replies again.

        Sam's been to the vet today, and I thought they'd keep him in to
        drain fluid off, but vet just upped his dose of frusemide to once a
        day (instead of one every other day) - ony for three days though, I
        can't see how that will make much difference if only for 3 days?

        I forgot to ask about spironolactone (thanks for mentioning it Lynn) -
        I'm afraid it was a bit chaotic in the surgery this morning -
        thought I'd gone on their 'cats only' day, but found they'd stopped
        doing that, so there were several dogs there, vet was busy and
        running late - and bit distracted. I'm going to phone later, because
        there were some things I wasnt sure about.

        My vet took his temp which was ok, but she gave him antibiotic jab
        and pills - just in case of any secondary infection?! I didnt really
        understand that, she wanted to give him Convenia long acting, but I
        said no to that, because I've had a cat with bad reaction and I just
        don't like the idea of a 14 day lasting injection.

        I forgot to add I think - that Sam has CRF as well as HCM - which was
        the reason for not giving frusemide every day in the beginning.

        Gillian
      • snusheesam
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 7, 2008
          Sam's not doing so well since going to the vet (see message below).
          She increased his dose of frusemide to one a day instead of every
          other day, and although he was eating before he went (although being
          picky), he's not wanted food this morning at all. Just walked away
          from his plate. He lay on the top of the stairs all night hardly
          shifting position.

          His breathing still looks bad to me. I've phone the vet and am
          waiting for her to return my call.

          What I want to know, is, can he come back from this particular
          episode? (I know ultimately I'm gonig to lose him) or is this the
          beginning of the end? I've not had any experience of heart disease
          before - plenty with CRF, so I just don't know what to expect, what
          can be done. He's sitting like my Suzie was when she was in end stage
          CRF, you know, sort of hunched.

          Any advice would be appreciated,

          Gillian

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "snusheesam" <illiangay@...>
          wrote:

          > Sam's been to the vet today, and I thought they'd keep him in to
          > drain fluid off, but vet just upped his dose of frusemide to once a
          > day (instead of one every other day) - ony for three days though, I
          > can't see how that will make much difference if only for 3 days?
          >

          > My vet took his temp which was ok, but she gave him antibiotic jab
          > and pills - just in case of any secondary infection?!
          >
          > I forgot to add - that Sam has CRF as well as HCM - which
          was
          > the reason for not giving frusemide every day in the beginning.
          >
          > Gillian

        • Sue B
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2008
            Gillian,

            Furosemide (aka lasix) only stays in the system for about six hours. I
            understand that the vet is concerned about the kidneys, but without a
            functioning heart, what good are the kidneys?

            Ask your vet if it would be helpful to give a smaller dose, but more often.
            If that doesn't work, then Sam may need to take it at the full dose, but
            more often.

            Sue & angels Pepper & Gandy
            with Nicholai, Lola-Joy and Isabella